Senate Appeals on Academic Standing

Appeal procedure

Students who wish to protest decisions relating to their academic studies may do so. The protest should be made initially as near the source of difficulty as possible, presumably an instructor. If the issue is not resolved, it must be taken to the head of the department concerned and then to the Dean of Graduate Studies. If the Dean of Graduate Studies denies the appeal, the student can make a final appeal to the Senate.  A standing committee of the University Senate, the Committee on Appeals on Academic Standing, reviews all appeals made to the Senate, (the senior academic authority in the University). Please follow the policies and procedures as outlined by this Committee.

The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies is available for consultation and advice at any point in the process.