Satisfactory Progress - Master's Students

Workday Student Support

Graduate students can find "how to" guides and support information on our Workday support page.

UBC Calendar:

Form: Graduate Unsatisfactory Academic Progress Recommendation

A minimum of 60% must be obtained in any course taken by a student enrolled in a master's program for the student to be granted pass standing. However, only 6 credits of pass standing may be counted towards a master's program. For all other courses, a minimum of 68% must be obtained. Some graduate programs may require a higher passing grade for specific courses.

If you have to repeat a failed required course, you must obtain a minimum mark of 74%. Higher minimum marks may be required by your graduate program or the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.

If you do not improve your grade by repeating the course or taking an alternate course and obtaining a satisfactory grade, you may be required to withdraw from your graduate program.

If you obtain grades of 60-67% in an excessive number of courses (more than 6 credits) you may be required to withdraw. You will be informed of unsatisfactory academic progress in writing before any action regarding withdrawal is taken.

For master's students registered in the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, a standing of Fail (F) will be assigned to courses with grades that fall below 60%.

Percentage (%) Letter Grade
Grading Scale
90-100 A+
85-89 A
80-84 A-


72-75 B
68-71 B-
64-67 C+
60-63 C
0-59 F (Fail)

If you repeat a course, both marks will appear on your transcript. The higher mark will be used to determine promotion in a program and in any decision to admit you to or withdraw you from a program. For all other purposes, averages will be calculated using both marks.