For UBC students visiting other universities, credits completed while a visiting student at another university must be approved for credit at UBC by the graduate program and the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies prior to registering at the host university. UBC students can visit other universities using the Western Dean's Agreement, Graduate Exchange Agreement and other exchange agreements at Go Global.
Partner institutions in the Western Deans' Agreement are:
- Athabasca University
- University of Alberta
- Brandon University
- University of British Columbia
- British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
- University of Calgary
- Concordia University College of Alberta
- University of Lethbridge
- University of Manitoba
- University of Northern British Columbia
- University of Regina
- Royal Roads University
- University of Saskatchewan
- Simon Fraser University
- University of Victoria
Partner institutions in the Graduate Exchange Agreement are:
- McGill University
- University of Toronto
- University of Montreal
In order to be eligible to use these exchange agreements, the student must be in good standing in his or her graduate program at home institution and must have paid all current and back fees and that the course must be an integral part of the student’s graduate degree program.
Note: Students in the following graduate programs are not eligible for the WDA and Graduate Exchange Agreements:
- MRSc (tuition is paid per credit)
- MET (tuition is paid per credit)
- MFA Creative Writing Distance (tuition is paid per credit)
- MEng (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
- MDSc (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
- MBA, iMBA, EMBA (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
- MM (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
- PharmD (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
Please note that the request must be fully approved (all four signatures obtained in order) at least two weeks prior to the start of the course. If the form is not received and approved in time, the student may not receive permission to take the course. In addition, the fee waiver is not available retroactively. Please ensure that Western Deans’ Agreement and Graduate Exchange Agreement forms are processed quickly to ensure that students are not denied registration in a course or required to pay fees unnecessarily at the Host Institution.
Canadian Association for Graduate Studies (CAGS)
In an effort to promote graduate student mobility, CAGS negotiated two agreements with its member institutions, one dealing with short-term research visits, and the other allowing graduate students to take courses in another university.
Canadian Graduate Student Research Mobility Agreement
The Canadian Graduate Student Research Mobility Agreement (CGSRMA, 2005) sets out a protocol for institutional recognition of visiting graduate research students.
Canadian Universities Graduate Transfer Agreement
The Canadian Universities Graduate Transfer Agreement (CUGTA, 1998) is to provide students in good standing enrolled in a graduate degree or diploma program at a CAGS member university the opportuntity to avail themselves of courses offered at another member institution (host) for transfer credit to the program at their institution(home).