Going to another University as a Visiting Student

For UBC students visiting other universities, credits completed while a visiting student at another university must be approved for credit at UBC by the graduate program and the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies prior to registering at the host university. UBC students can visit other universities using the Western Dean's Agreement, Graduate Exchange Agreement and other exchange agreements at Go Global.

See the Transfer Credit policy in the UBC Calendar for the requirements for transferring credits from another university into your UBC degree program.

Student Insurance

UBC students doing off-campus research on behalf of UBC or engaging in UBC-sanctioned activities may be covered by or be eligible for additional insurance coverage under one of UBC Risk Management Services’ insurance policies. Students should consider these policies (both automatic and optional) before undertaking off-campus visits. For additional information, see Graduate Student Insurance.

Western Deans' Agreement

Partner institutions in the Western Deans' Agreement are:

  • Athabasca University
  • University of Alberta
  • Brandon University
  • University of British Columbia
  • British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
  • University of Calgary
  • Concordia University College of Alberta
  • University of Lethbridge
  • University of Manitoba
  • University of Northern British Columbia
  • University of Regina
  • Royal Roads University
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • Simon Fraser University
  • University of Victoria

Graduate Exchange Agreement

Partner institutions in the Graduate Exchange Agreement are:

  • McGill University
  • University of Toronto
  • University of Montreal

In order to be eligible to use these exchange agreements, the student must be in good standing in his or her graduate program at home institution and must have paid all current and back fees and that the course must be an integral part of the student’s graduate degree program.

Note: Students in the following graduate programs are not eligible for the WDA and Graduate Exchange Agreements:

  • MRSc (tuition is paid per credit)
  • MET (tuition is paid per credit)
  • MFA Creative Writing Distance (tuition is paid per credit)
  • MEng (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
  • MDSc (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
  • MBA, iMBA, EMBA (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
  • MM (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
  • PharmD (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)

Please note that the request must be fully approved (all four signatures obtained in order) at least two weeks prior to the start of the course. If the form is not received and approved in time, the student may not receive permission to take the course. In addition, the fee waiver is not available retroactively. Please ensure that Western Deans’ Agreement and Graduate Exchange Agreement forms are processed quickly to ensure that students are not denied registration in a course or required to pay fees unnecessarily at the Host Institution.