There are several kinds of personal insurance available to UBC students. UBC Risk Management Services has detailed information about student insurance. Students are strongly recommended to consider what optional coverage they may need and to become familiar with the terms of each policy.
- Student Travel – Off-Campus Research Accident Insurance
- Catastrophic Accident Insurance for UBC Students
- Practicum/Clinical Placement Insurance for UBC Students
- Error & Omissions Insurance – Visiting Health Sciences Students, Faculty of Medicine
To find out what is not covered under any of the above policies or for assistance, please contact Blossom Sobrinho at Risk Management Services.
- UBC Student Accident Insurance
- UBC Students Traveling Abroad Insurance
Student Safety Abroad
If you are traveling outside of Canada for university activity (conferences, research, volunteering, service learning, and studying abroad) please visit UBC’s Student Safety Abroad website where you will find:
- Resources to help plan for a safe trip including insurance and emergency response information
- Access to the mandatory Student Safety Abroad Registry
- Guidelines for requesting high-risk travel authorization
- Information about UBC’s medical and travel security assistance program International SOS
If you have any specific questions regarding safety and your upcoming trip or would like to schedule a group travel briefing please contact the Student Safety Abroad Advisor.
As per UBC’s Student Safety Abroad Policy, graduate students traveling outside of Canada for university activity must complete UBC’s travel authorization requirements. Travel for a “university activity” includes academic purposes including any activity required for academic credit, or financially sponsored or supported by UBC. Travel typically includes exchanges, research, internships, co-op placements, conference attendance, field study, and volunteering. Please visit the Student Safety Abroad website to learn more or contact email@example.com for questions.