Health includes taking care of yourself every day, understanding that challenges are normal, and knowing what to do when you don’t feel well. Visit UBC Student Services to find tips, resources and in-person support open to all graduate and undergraduate students.
- Counselling Services: When you drop in to Counselling Services, you can book a same day appointment with a Wellness Advisor. Wellness Advisors are trained Master-level counsellors who meet with students for a one-time 15-20 minute assessment. They’ll listen to your needs and connect you with resources to best help you reach your goals. This could include self-directed resources, workshops and coaching, group therapy, or individual therapy.
- Aspiria: The UBC Student Assistance Program (SAP) is a free, 24/7 wellness resource for students. Services include personal counselling, life coaching, group programs and more based on your needs. UBC SAP can help you with a wide range of concerns to support your mental, emotional, physical and financial health, and will give you the option of getting help through the website, through the mobile app or by phone 1-833-590-1328 (toll-free).
- Student Health Services: Student Health Service offers a wide range of health assessments and treatments provided by doctors, nurses, and specialists. You can book an appointment by phone, in person or online.
- The Wellness Centre: At the Wellness Centre, Wellness Peer Educators are trained student volunteers who can answer your questions, talk with you, and recommend resources for everyday concerns related to health, relationships, and workload.
- Centre for Accessibility: The Centre for Accessibility facilitates disability-related accommodations and programming initiatives designed to remove barriers for students with disabilities and ongoing medical conditions.
- Help a friend: How to help if you’re concerned about a friend who is feeling hopeless or thinking of harming themselves.
Urgent Crisis and Mental Health Support
- Urgent Care at UBC Hospital
- Vancouver General Hospital (VGH): Vancouver residents can go to Vancouver General Hospital’s Access and Assessment Centre (604-675-3700)
- Emergency Services (24/7): Call 9-1-1 or go to your nearest hospital emergency department
- Crisis Centre BC: If you or someone you know is feeling hopeless or thinking about suicide, call or chat online with a crisis responder any time 1-800-784-2433
- AMS Food Bank
- SUO Pantry
- UBC Meal Share Program
- Emergency Financial Support
- GSS Graduate Student Financial Aid
- Please review additional resources at UBC Wellbeing Food Security Resources
Sexual Violence Support
- Sexual Violence and Prevention Response Office (SVPRO) is a safe place for faculty, staff and students who have experienced sexual assault regardless of identity, expression or orientation, regardless of when or where it took place.
- AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) is part of the AMS Student Society and is committed to the education and support of all survivors of sexualized violence.
Safety and Security
- AMS Safewalk provides a transportation service that will accompany students, staff, and visitors who feel unsafe walking alone, across campus.
- Campus Security works towards making the campus a safe environment in numerous ways, from heading Secure Access to providing personal safety services and technologies and hosting security and safety workshops.
- Graduate student safety: Everyone plays a role in making UBC’s Vancouver campus a safe and welcoming place. A number of resources are available to ensure graduate student safety on campus.
Online Support Tools
- Mind Health BC: take an online mental health assessment and find resources.
- Healthlinkbc.ca: check physical health symptoms and find resources
- Here to help: learn and assess mental health and substance use resources
- Therapy Assisted Online (TAO): Self-Help Sign up for a free, secure, and private account with your UBC email. Learn about managing stress, anxiety, anger, problem solving, and relationships. Evaluate your alcohol and drug use.
- Students.ubc.ca: find resources, and helpful tips organized by topic.
Events, Services, and Resources
Health and Wellness: lists health and wellness events, services, and resources.