What to include:
- the abstract
- the lay summary
- the preface
- the table of contents
- all other preliminary pages
- the main divisions and subdivisions of the thesis
- end notes
- the bibliography
- the appendices
Tables, figures, illustrations and appendices must be listed by number and title, and must include a page number.
The only exceptions to the requirement for a table of contents are musical recitals and some Master of Fine Arts theses. If you think your thesis does not require a table of contents, contact the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Thesis Section to confirm this.
The accuracy of the table of contents will be checked at final submission.
- single page-wide column
- page numbers right-aligned
- leader lines (dots) connecting the entries with their page numbers
- page number for each entry
- entries in the order given on this web site
- do not put "page" in front of the page number
- subheadings indented more than main headings, third-level headings indented more than subheadings, etc.
Help with formatting:
The Koerner Library Research Commons, located on floor 2 of Koerner Library, provides a Microsoft Word thesis template and guides plus technical support via appointment.