Page Layout, Margins and Numbering
The whole thesis, including the table of contents, must be in a single, page-wide column. Do not use two or more columns in your thesis.
The text of the thesis must be in paragraph form.
- the first line of each paragraph must be indented, or
- there must be a larger space between paragraphs than there is between lines.
Each chapter must start at the top of a new page.
Left: 1.25 inches (32 mm) recommended for binding; 1 inch minimum.
Right, top, and bottom: 1 inch recommended; 0.75 inches (19 mm) minimum
- lines of text must be 1.5 or double spaced
- quotations of more than one line can be single-spaced
- acknowledgements, footnotes, table, figure and illustration captions and the bibliography can be single-spaced, provided that individual entries are separated by a full space
- must be numbered in lower case Roman numerals (ii, iii, iv, etc.)
- the title page is "i" but this number must not appear on the page
- numbering begins at "ii" on the first page of the abstract
Body of thesis:
- must be numbered in Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, etc.)
- the first page of the text is "1"
- subsequent pages are numbered continuously throughout, including pages with tables and figures, bibliographies, appendices, and index
- every page except the title page must have a number on it
- there must be no blank pages in the thesis.
- page number sequence and completeness will be checked at final submission
Page Number Location
- must be placed at least .5 inches (12 mm) from the edge of the page
- may be either in the lower centre or on the top or lower right of the page, when the page is viewed in portrait view. Lower right is preferred.
Landscape pages must be orientated in your PDF so that they are readable without rotation. You do not need to change the location or orientation of the page number, but may if you wish.
Facing pages are not acceptable. If the caption for a figure, table, etc., cannot appear on the same page as its accompanying illustration, place the illustration on a separate page after the caption.