Relevant Degree Programs
Graduate Student Supervision
Doctoral Student Supervision (2008-2017)
- Evolution in engineering dispositions and thinking among culturally diverse students in an undergraduate engineering programme (2015)
- Understanding science museum educators in China and their self-concept as professionals (2015)
- Visitors' conceptions and self-report of learning in museums (2015)
- Connecting children to the ocean : understanding elementary students' changes in ocean literacy during a marine aquarium summer camp experience (2014)
- Museum educators teaching others to teach (2011)
- Exploring family learning in a Mexican science museum from a Latin American socio-cultural perspective (2010)
Master's Student Supervision (2010-2017)
- An investigation of sustainability-oriented courses : student views and experiences (2012)
- Experiential environmental education : looking at the socio-cultural variables that affect attitudes and behaviours following a marine conservation program (2011)
- The extended practicum beyond the classroom option : impacts of a pre-service practicum in a museum setting (2010)
- Motivational Factors in Career Decisions Made by Chinese Science Museum Educators (2016)
Ji, J. and Anderson, D. and Wu, X.
Adult Education Quarterly 66 (1) 21-38
- Introduction: Museum educators supporting diverse audiences: Parents, teenagers and family groups (2015)
Research Informing the Practice of Museum Educators: Diverse Audiences, Challenging Topics, and Reflective Praxis 1-4
- Research informing the practice of museum educators: Diverse audiences, challenging topics, and reflective praxis (2015)
Anderson, D. and de Cosson, A. and McIntosh, L.
Research Informing the Practice of Museum Educators: Diverse Audiences, Challenging Topics, and Reflective Praxis 1-256
- Transformations in Kenyan Science Teachers’ Locus of Control: The Influence of Contextualized Science and Emancipated Student Learning (2015)
Anderson, D. and Nashon, S. and Namazzi, E. and Okemwa, P. and Ombogo, P. and Ooko, S. and Beru, F.
Journal of Science Teacher Education 26 (7) 599-617
- 'Prospecting for metacognition' in a science museum: A metaphor reflecting hermeneutic inquiry (2014)
Anderson, D. and Thomas, G.P.
Issues in Educational Research 24 (1) 1-20
- Changing the metacognitive orientation of a classroom environment to enhance students' metacognition regarding chemistry learning (2014)
Thomas, G.P. and Anderson, D.
Learning Environments Research 17 (1) 139-155
- Industry participation in construction capstone courses: A company's experience (2014)
Anderson, D. and Mourgues, C.
Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction 19 (1) 73-76
- A qualitative investigation of sustainability-oriented courses at UBC (2013)
Hunter, K.B. and Mayer-Smith, J. and Anderson, D.
International Journal of Sustainability Education 8 (2) 93-104
- Interpreting student views of learning experiences in a contextualized science discourse in Kenya (2013)
Nashon, S.M. and Anderson, D.
Journal of Research in Science Teaching 50 (4) 381-407
- Korean elementary school students' perceptions of relationship with marine organisms (2013)
Kim, J.-M. and Anderson, D. and Scott, S.
Asia-Pacific Forum on Science Learning and Teaching 14 (2)
- Parents' Metacognitive Knowledge: Influences on Parent-Child Interactions in a Science Museum Setting (2013)
Thomas, G.P. and Anderson, D.
Research in Science Education 43 (3) 1245-1265
- Teacher change: The effect of student learning on science teachers' teaching in Kenya (2013)
Nashon, S.M. and Anderson, D.
International Journal of Engineering Education 29 (4) 839-845
- A review of Latin American perspectives on museums and museum learning (2012)
Briseno-Garzon, A. and Anderson, D.
Museum Management and Curatorship 27 (2) 161-177
- Autobiographical memories of specific social events for older and younger adults: Context dependency of the Memory Characteristics Questionnaire on recollection of 1970 and 2005 Japan World Expositions (2012)
Shimizu, H. and Anderson, D. and Takahashi, M.
Japanese Psychological Research 54 (2) 182-194
- Memory characteristics in relation to age and community identity: The influence of rehearsal on visitors' recollections of the 2005 Aichi World Exposition (2012)
- Chinese perceptions of the interface between school and museum education (2010)
Kang, C. and Anderson, D. and Wu, X.
Cultural Studies of Science Education 5 (3) 665-684
- Exploring the impact of integrated fieldwork, reflective and metacognitive experiences on student environmental learning outcomes (2010)
Ballantyne, R. and Anderson, D. and Packer, J.
Australian Journal of Environmental Education 26 47-64
- Learning on zoo field trips: The interaction of the agendas and practices of students, teachers, and zoo educators (2010)
Davidson, S.K. and Passmore, C. and Anderson, D.
Science Education 94 (1) 122-141
- An instructional challenge through problem solving for physics teacher candidates (2009)
Nashon, S.M. and Anderson, D. and Nielsen, W.S.
Asia-Pacific Forum on Science Learning and Teaching 10 (1)
- Evolution of research methods for probing and understanding metacognition (2009)
Anderson, D. and Nashon, S.M. and Thomas, G.P.
Research in Science Education 39 (2) 181-195
- Metacognitive engagement during field-trip experiences: A case study of students in an amusement park physics program (2009)
Nielsen, W.S. and Nashon, S. and Anderson, D.
Journal of Research in Science Teaching 46 (3) 265-288
- Social barriers to meaningful engagement in biology field trip group work (2009)
Anderson, D. and Thomas, G.P. and Nashon, S.M.
Science Education 93 (3) 511-534
- Development of an instrument designed to investigate elements of science students' metacognition, self-efficacy and learning processes: The SEMLI-S (2008)
Thomas, G. and Anderson, D. and Nashon, S.
International Journal of Science Education 30 (13) 1701-1724
- Edutainment heritage tourist attractions: A portrait of visitors' experiences at Storyeum (2008)
Hertzman, E. and Anderson, D. and Rowley, S.
Museum Management and Curatorship 23 (2) 155-175
- Factors shaping vividness of memory episodes: Visitors' long-term memories of the 1970 Japan World Exposition (2007)
Anderson, D. and Shimizu, H.
Memory 15 (2) 177-191
- Predators of knowledge construction: Interpreting students' metacognition in an amusement park physics program (2007)
Anderson, D. and Nashon, S.
Science Education 91 (2) 298-320
- Investigating the impact of a practicum experience in an aquarium on pre-service teachers (2006)
Anderson, D. and Lawson, B. and Mayer-Smith, J.
Teaching Education 17 (4) 341-353
- The olin curriculum: Thinking toward the future (2005)
Somerville, M. and Anderson, D. and Berbeco, H. and Bourne, J.R. and Crisman, J. and Dabby, D. and Donis-Keller, H. and Holt, S.S. and Kerns, S. and Kerns Jr., D.V. and Martello, R. and Miller, R.K. and Moody, M. and Pratt, G. and Pratt, J.C. and Shea, C. and Schiffman, S. and Spence, S. and Stein, L.A. and Stolk, J.D. and Storey, B.D. and Tilley, B. and Vandiver, B. and Zastavker, Y.
IEEE Transactions on Education 48 (1) 198-205
- Museums, keyworkers and lifelong learning: A European survey (2003)
Anderson, D. and Gray, D. and Chadwick, A.
International Review of Education 49 (3-4) 343-362
- Policy statement of the "Informal Science Education" Ad Hoc committe (2003)
Dierking, L.D. and Falk, J.H. and Rennie, L. and Anderson, D. and Ellenbogen, K.
Journal of Research in Science Teaching 40 (2) 108-111
- Theoretical perspectives on learning in an informal setting (2003)
Anderson, D. and Lucas, K.B. and Ginns, I.S.
Journal of Research in Science Teaching 40 (2) 177-199
- Young children’s perspectives of museum settings and experiences (2001)
Piscitelli, B. and Anderson, D.
Museum Management and Curatorship 19 (3) 269-282
- Development of knowledge about electricity and magnetism during a visit to a science museum and related post-visit activities (2000)
Anderson, D. and Lucas, K.B. and Ginns, I.S. and Dierking, L.D.
Science Education 84 (5) 658-679
- Dialectical Constraints to the Discursive Practices of a High School Physics Community (1997)
Tobin, K. and McRobbie, C. and Anderson, D.
Journal of Research in Science Teaching 34 (5) 491-507
- The effectiveness of orienting students to the physical features of a science museum prior to visitation (1997)
Anderson, D. and Lucas, K.B.
Research in Science Education 27 (4) 485-495