Master of Social Work - Advanced (MSW)
The MSW at UBC can be achieved within one of three fields of practice: Health and social care; Family and Children's Services; Social and International Development. Organized around an ethic of social care and social justice, each stream of practice shares some core courses and electives germane to the student's field of practice. Related practicum experiences build on knowledge and skills cultivated in the classroom. Typically, students complete a practicum in the field of practice addressed in their area of concentration.
What makes the program unique?
- Founded in 1928, the School of Social Work is the oldest social work training institution in British Columbia.
- With a focus on social justice, the School prepares students for advanced social work practice at undergraduate, master and doctoral levels.
- The School of Social Work has 16.5 full-time faculty and enrolls approximately 65 Master's students each year.
- We are small enough that students and faculty can enjoy regular one-on-one contact.
- Our Field Education Coordinators provide personalized service to seek practicum placements suited to students' individual learning goals.
- The School of Social Work's MSW program is fully accredited by the Canadian Association of Social Work Education.
- The School of Social Work is home to the Centre for Inclusion and Citizenship and the Centre for Research in Personhood in Dementia.
TOEFL (ibT) Overall Score Requirement
IELTS Overall Score Requirement
Criminal Record Check
Prior degree requirements
For the one-year M.S.W. applicants require a Bachelor of Social Work (B.S.W.) degree.
Tuition / Program Costs
|Fees||Canadian Citizen / Permanent Resident / Refugee / Diplomat||International|
|Installments per year||3||3|
|Tuition per installment||$1,632.61||$8,013.83|
|Tuition per year||$4,897.83||$24,041.49|
|Int. Tuition Award (ITA) per year (if eligible)||Not applicable|
|Other Fees and Costs|
|Student Fees (yearly)||$923.38 (approx.)|
|Costs of living (yearly)||starting at $16,884.10 (check cost calculator)|
All fees for the year are subject to adjustment and UBC reserves the right to change any fees without notice at any time, including tuition and student fees. In case of a discrepancy between this webpage and the UBC Calendar, the UBC Calendar entry will be held to be correct.
Completion Rates & Times
This list shows faculty members with full supervisory privileges who are affiliated with this program. It is not a comprehensive list of all potential supervisors as faculty from other programs or faculty members without full supervisory privileges can request approvals to supervise graduate students in this program.
Charles, Grant (Psychosocial oncology, intellectual disabilities, family interventions and at risk youth)
Kruk, Edward Andrew (child and family policy and practice, family mediation, co-parenting after divorce, addiction)
Marshall, Sheila (adolescent social identity, parent-adolescent interactions, adolescent well-being)
O'Connor, Deborah (family support to frail or mentally impaired seniors; formal support services, Dementia, the interface between living with dementia, family care, and the use of formal support services)
Riano-Alcala, Pilar (Lived experience of violence, Historical Memory and the politics of commemoration and witnessing, Forced migration (internal displacement and refuge), Critical and participatory methodologies, Community organizing, everyday resistance and social repair, Public art)
Stainton, Timothy (Developmental Disability, Disability, Social Policy, History of Developmental Disability, Philosophy of Welfare)
Wright, Margaret (Child sexual abuse, sentencing, criminal justice programmes, Analysis of judicial decision-making in cases involving child sexual abuse, decision-making about children)
Yan, Miu Chung (Issues related to settlement and integration of immigrants and refugees, labour market experience of new generation youth from racial minority immigrant families, and community building roles and functions of neighbourhood-level place-based multiservice organizations )