A Statement of Interest is a crucial part of most graduate school applications.
It may also be called a "statement of intent", "description of research interests" or something similar. Basically it is your opportunity to tell the graduate program:
- Your specific area of academic interest (research topic you want to work on)
- How your past education and other experiences have prepared you to be successful in the graduate program
- What you hope to achieve in the graduate program
- Why this particular program at UBC is the best place for you to pursue your interests
The statement is generally in the form of a short essay. Be sure to carefully read the specific instructions given by the graduate program and ensure you provide them with what they are asking for.
Other tips for a strong Statement of Interest:
- State any work you have done in this area already (mention specific skills/techniques you have picked up).
- Connect your area of interest to work being done in the program (mention specific faculty members and projects).
- Refer to academic publications that have informed your interest (use correct citation as footnote).
- Mention any publications, presentations or conferences you have been a part of.