Relevant Degree Programs
Complete these steps before you reach out to a faculty member!
- Familiarize yourself with program requirements. You want to learn as much as possible from the information available to you before you reach out to a faculty member. Be sure to visit the graduate degree program listing and program-specific websites.
- Check whether the program requires you to seek commitment from a supervisor prior to submitting an application. For some programs this is an essential step while others match successful applicants with faculty members within the first year of study. This is either indicated in the program profile under "Admission Information & Requirements" - "Prepare Application" - "Supervision" or on the program website.
- Identify specific faculty members who are conducting research in your specific area of interest.
- Establish that your research interests align with the faculty member’s research interests.
- Read up on the faculty members in the program and the research being conducted in the department.
- Familiarize yourself with their work, read their recent publications and past theses/dissertations that they supervised. Be certain that their research is indeed what you are hoping to study.
- Compose an error-free and grammatically correct email addressed to your specifically targeted faculty member, and remember to use their correct titles.
- Do not send non-specific, mass emails to everyone in the department hoping for a match.
- Address the faculty members by name. Your contact should be genuine rather than generic.
- Include a brief outline of your academic background, why you are interested in working with the faculty member, and what experience you could bring to the department. The supervision enquiry form guides you with targeted questions. Ensure to craft compelling answers to these questions.
- Highlight your achievements and why you are a top student. Faculty members receive dozens of requests from prospective students and you may have less than 30 seconds to pique someone’s interest.
- Demonstrate that you are familiar with their research:
- Convey the specific ways you are a good fit for the program.
- Convey the specific ways the program/lab/faculty member is a good fit for the research you are interested in/already conducting.
- Be enthusiastic, but don’t overdo it.
G+PS regularly provides virtual sessions that focus on admission requirements and procedures and tips how to improve your application.
- Incorporation of Polymer-Grafted Cellulose Nanocrystals into Latex-Based Pressure-Sensitive Adhesives (2022)
ACS Materials Au, 2 (2), 176--189
- Benchmarking Cellulose Nanocrystals Part II: New Industrially Produced Materials (2021)
- Bioinspired Thermoresponsive Xyloglucan–Cellulose Nanocrystal Hydrogels (2021)
Biomacromolecules, 22 (2), 743--753
- Cellulose Nanocrystals Influence Polyamide 6 Crystal Structure, Spherulite Uniformity, and Mechanical Performance of Nanocomposite Films (2021)
ACS Applied Polymer Materials,
- Challenges in Synthesis and Analysis of Asymmetrically Grafted Cellulose Nanocrystals via Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization (2021)
Biomacromolecules, 22 (6), 2702--2717
- Direct Comparison of Three Buckling-Based Methods to Measure the Elastic Modulus of Nanobiocomposite Thin Films (2021)
ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 13 (24), 29187--29198
- Effect of Reaction Media on Grafting Hydrophobic Polymers from Cellulose Nanocrystals via Surface-Initiated Atom-Transfer Radical Polymerization (2021)
- Effect of Tannic Acid and Cellulose Nanocrystals on Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Properties of Gelatin Films (2021)
ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 9 (25), 8539--8549
- Fundamentals of cellulose lightweight materials: bio-based assemblies with tailored properties (2021)
Green Chemistry, 23 (10), 3542--3568
- How latex film formation and adhesion at the nanoscale correlate to performance of pressure sensitive adhesives with cellulose nanocrystals (2021)
Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 379 (2206), 20200330
- Hydrothermal treatments of aqueous cellulose nanocrystal suspensions: effects on structure and surface charge content (2021)
- Liquid Crystalline Properties of Symmetric and Asymmetric End-Grafted Cellulose Nanocrystals (2021)
- Nanocellulose in Emulsions and Heterogeneous Water‐Based Polymer Systems: A Review (2021)
Advanced Materials, , 2002404
- Production routes to tailor the performance of cellulose nanocrystals (2021)
Nature Reviews Materials, 6 (2), 124--144
- The physicochemical effect of sugar alcohol plasticisers on oxidised nanocellulose gels and extruded filaments (2021)
Cellulose, 28 (12), 7829--7843
- Thick Polyvinyl Alcohol Films Reinforced with Cellulose Nanocrystals for Coating Applications (2021)
ACS Applied Nano Materials,
- Tuning the Physicochemical Properties of Cellulose Nanocrystals through an In Situ Oligosaccharide Surface Modification Method (2021)
- Ultrathin‐Walled 3D Inorganic Nanostructured Networks Templated from Cross‐Linked Cellulose Nanocrystal Aerogels (2021)
Advanced Materials Interfaces, , 2001181
- A Direct Comparison of Three Buckling-Based Methods to Measure the Elastic Modulus of Nanobiocomposite Thin Films (2020)
- Bioinspired Thermo-Responsive Xyloglucan-Cellulose Nanocrystal Hydrogels (2020)
- Effect of Shear Stresses on Adenovirus Activity and Aggregation during Atomization To Produce Thermally Stable Vaccines by Spray Drying (2020)
ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 6 (7), 4304--4313
- Image Analysis of Structured Surfaces for Quantitative Topographical Characterization (2020)
- Mechanically Reinforced Injectable Hydrogels (2020)
ACS Applied Polymer Materials, 2 (3), 1016--1030
- Naturally Hydrophobic Foams from Lignocellulosic Fibers Prepared by Oven-Drying (2020)
ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 8 (22), 8267--8278
- Patience is a virtue: self-assembly and physico-chemical properties of cellulose nanocrystal allomorphs (2020)
Nanoscale, 12 (33), 17480--17493
- Pushing the Limits with Cellulose Nanocrystal Loadings in Latex‐Based Pressure‐Sensitive Adhesive Nanocomposites (2020)
Macromolecular Reaction Engineering, 14 (6), 2000027
- Xyloglucan Structure Impacts the Mechanical Properties of Xyloglucan–Cellulose Nanocrystal Layered Films—A Buckling-Based Study (2020)
Biomacromolecules, 21 (9), 3898--3908
- 2.5D Hierarchical Structuring of Nanocomposite Hydrogel Films Containing Cellulose Nanocrystals (2019)
ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 11 (6), 6325--6335
- Cellulose Nanocrystal Aerogels as Electrolyte Scaffolds for Glass and Plastic Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells (2019)
ACS Applied Energy Materials, 2 (8), 5635--5642
- Insight into thermal stability of cellulose nanocrystals from new hydrolysis methods with acid blends (2019)
Cellulose, 26 (1), 507--528
- Patterned Cellulose Nanocrystal Aerogel Films with Tunable Dimensions and Morphologies as Ultra-Porous Scaffolds for Cell Culture (2019)
ACS Applied Nano Materials, 2 (7), 4169--4179
- Tailoring Rheological Properties of Thermoresponsive Hydrogels through Block Copolymer Adsorption to Cellulose Nanocrystals (2019)
Biomacromolecules, 20 (7), 2545--2556
- Tissue Response and Biodistribution of Injectable Cellulose Nanocrystal Composite Hydrogels (2019)
ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 5 (5), 2235--2246
- Comparing Soft Semicrystalline Polymer Nanocomposites Reinforced with Cellulose Nanocrystals and Fumed Silica (2018)
Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 57 (1), 220--230
- Consecutive Spray Drying to Produce Coated Dry Powder Vaccines Suitable for Oral Administration (2018)
ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering,
- Current characterization methods for cellulose nanomaterials (2018)
Chemical Society Reviews,
- Effect of Counterion Choice on the Stability of Cellulose Nanocrystal Pickering Emulsions (2018)
Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 57 (21), 7169--7180
- Green Templating of Ultraporous Cross-Linked Cellulose Nanocrystal Microparticles (2018)
Chemistry of Materials, 30 (21), 8040--8051
- Incorporating Cellulose Nanocrystals into the Core of Polymer Latex Particles via Polymer Grafting (2018)
ACS Macro Letters, 7 (8), 990--996
- Liquid-State NMR Analysis of Nanocelluloses (2018)
Biomacromolecules, 19 (7), 2708--2720
- Morphology of cross-linked cellulose nanocrystal aerogels: cryo-templating versus pressurized gas expansion processing (2018)
Journal of Materials Science, 53 (13), 9842--9860
- Optimization of cellulose nanocrystal length and surface charge density through phosphoric acid hydrolysis (2018)
Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 376 (2112), 20170041
- Benchmarking Cellulose Nanocrystals: From the Laboratory to Industrial Production (2017)
Langmuir, 33 (7), 1583--1598
- Cellulose Nanocrystals and Methyl Cellulose as Costabilizers for Nanocomposite Latexes with Double Morphology (2017)
ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 5 (11), 10509--10517
- Comparison of polyethylene glycol adsorption to nanocellulose versus fumed silica in water (2017)
Cellulose, 24 (11), 4743--4757
- Effect of Ionic Strength and Surface Charge Density on the Kinetics of Cellulose Nanocrystal Thin Film Swelling (2017)
Langmuir, 33 (30), 7403--7411
- Injectable Anisotropic Nanocomposite Hydrogels Direct in Situ Growth and Alignment of Myotubes (2017)
Nano Letters, 17 (10), 6487--6495
- One-Pot Water-Based Hydrophobic Surface Modification of Cellulose Nanocrystals Using Plant Polyphenols (2017)
ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 5 (6), 5018--5026
- Review of Hydrogels and Aerogels Containing Nanocellulose (2017)
Chemistry of Materials, 29 (11), 4609--4631
- Structural Variations in Hybrid All-Nanoparticle Gibbsite Nanoplatelet/Cellulose Nanocrystal Multilayered Films (2017)
Langmuir, 33 (32), 7896--7907
- Tailoring Cellulose Nanocrystal and Surfactant Behavior in Miniemulsion Polymerization (2017)
Macromolecules, 50 (7), 2645--2655