International Transcripts, Degree Certificates & Translations

Each entry under the Academic History section of the application must include pdf copies of official, up-to-date, transcripts for all current and previous post-secondary study (see exception for UBC documentation, below). 

  • Note: Grade sheets/records are not transcripts and will not be accepted in lieu of copies of official transcripts.

    Uploading scanned copies of official required documents in the application system

    Applicants must obtain an official transcript for every post-secondary institution they have attended (other than UBC).

    • Each transcript must be scanned as an individual .pdf file and uploaded to the application system as indicated.
    • Scan both sides of the transcript and/or degree certificate where there is information, notations, or stamps from the issuing institution.
    • Refer to any directions provided by the selected graduate program on naming scanned document files. Otherwise, files should be named: "Applicant Full Name-Document Description.extension"

    Peng Zhang-Peking University Transcript.pdf
    Peng Zhang-Peking University Transcript English Translation.pdf
    Peng Zhang-CV.pdf
    Peng Zhang-Journal of Neurosciences Paper.pdf

    • Each transcript must be uploaded as a single file (rather than a separate file for each page).
    • If you have documents that are issued in a language other than English, then in addition to uploading digital copies of the documents in their original language, you must also upload a certified literal English translation of your transcripts from your home university's translation service or certified English translator.
    • The online application system provides additional, detailed directions on scanning and uploading of academic documentation.

    After being offered admission

    Conditional admission offers are made based on documents uploaded to the application system. Once an offer of admission is received: 

    • A list of required transcripts, and possibly degree certificates, will be posted in the applicant's online portal.

    • G+PS (Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies) must receive one official set of all required transcripts and/or degree certificates for every (non-UBC) postsecondary institution attended for the equivalent of one year or more of full-time study. 

      • Note: UBC reserves the right to also require any individual applicant to provide official transcripts for study of less than one year duration.

    • UBC transcript exception: Refer to the section for current and former UBC students.

    • Do not send official transcripts before receiving an offer of admission unless special instructions were received from the selected graduate program.

    • Applicants will not be allowed to register in a graduate program until the initial transcript requirements are met. (Covid19: Please refer to the G+PS FAQs)

    Official Academic Documents

    To be considered official, academic records must either be received in official university envelopes, sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution, or be received via secure electronic delivery from the issuing institution.

    If your university issues only one original set of academic documents (transcripts/degree certificates):

    Make photocopies of your original academic documents and send them to your home university. Ask your home university to:

    • Verify that the photocopies are consistent with their records.
    • Attest that the copies are true photocopies and stamp them with an official university stamp.
    • Put the attested, stamped photocopies in sealed envelopes endorsed by the Registrar.
    • Mail the sealed, endorsed envelopes directly to Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies.

    If your academic documents are issued in a language other than English:

    • Order a set of academic documents in the original language along with certified literal English translations from your home university's translation service.

    If your home university does not provide English translation:

    • Photocopy a set of your documents. 
    • Take the copy to a certified English translator and order a complete, word-by-word, literal English translation.
    • Direct the translator to put both the original language photocopy and the English translation into a sealed envelope, and endorse the envelope by signing across the seal.
    • Send the sealed, endorsed envelopes from the translator to UBC Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies.
    • Important: remember that UBC will still require a set of official academic documents received directly from your home institution.

    Note: Academic records must be translated in their entirety, including any information that appears on the reverse side of any document.

    UBC does not accept the following:

    • Photocopies that have not been stamped, attested and endorsed by the Registrar at your home university
    • Documents in envelopes that have been opened
    • Documents that do not arrive in sealed envelopes endorsed by the issuing institution or certified translator
    • Documents that arrive without the official seal of the university
    • Photocopies notarized by a notary public
    • Photocopies endorsed by a lawyer, professor, judge etc.
    • Unofficial translations
    • Non-literal translations

    Do not order academic records that are not in sealed and endorsed envelopes, or not sent by secure electronic delivery. It will only delay the processing of your application.

    Documents being provided by post/courier to meet conditions of admission must be sent directly to:

    Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies
    The University of British Columbia
    170 - 6371 Crescent Rd
    Vancouver, BC CANADA  V6T 1Z2

    See below for information on meeting the condition of admission with secure electronic documents. 

    Current and former UBC students

    • The application to graduate school must be made under the current/former CWL (Campus-wide Login) . Applying with the correct CWL will automatically transfer the UBC record into the application.

    • Official academic documentation for all other post-secondary institutions attended (e.g., exchange year, transfer year, etc.) will be required for upload into the application.

    Document Ownership

    Documents submitted in support of applications become the property of the University and are not returned to the applicant or student. Refer to the UBC Academic Calendar statement on ownership of application documents. 

    Applicants are strongly discouraged from sending irreplaceable documents and are advised to follow the instructions for verified copies (follow directions under Official Academic Documents above).

    Secure Electronic Delivery

    The issuing institution must send a link to a secure site to Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (G+PS) at G+PS downloads the transcript from the secure site. Important: an e-transcript is downloaded via a link to a secure site. It is NOT an email attachment of any kind, even if sent from an authority at the issuing institution.

    • Due to Covid19 G+PS is temporarily accepting encrypted transcripts sent by email directly from the issuing institution as official.