Canadian Transcripts

Applications must include digital copies (.pdfs) of official, up-to-date transcripts for all current and previous post-secondary study the applicant has undertaken. Scans of the official transcripts (front and back) will be uploaded to the application system as part of the application process. These uploaded documents will be used for the initial evaluation of the application.

Note: Grade sheets are not transcripts and will not be accepted in lieu of copies of official transcripts.

Conditional admission offers may be made based on documents uploaded to the application system. However, admission offers will not be finalized and applicants will not be allowed to register in a graduate program until one set of all required official academic records are received by UBC in official university envelopes, sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution, or be sent via secure electronic delivery by the issuing institution.

Please note: Some programs require an official set of transcripts at the time of application. Please refer to the website of the program(s) to which you are applying and the instructions in the online application for specific information about sending your official documents.

Uploading transcripts in the application system

Applicants with Canadian transcripts (other than UBC) must obtain an official paper transcript for every post-secondary institution they have attended.  UBC transcripts are not required.

  • Each transcript should be scanned as an individual .pdf file and then uploaded to the application system as indicated.
  • Please attend to any directions the specific graduate program may provide about naming your scanned document files. Otherwise, they should be named: "Applicant Full Name-Document Description.extension"

Kelly Smith-University of Waterloo Transcript.pdf
Kelly Smith-CV.pdf
Kelly Smith-Journal of Neurosciences Paper.pdf

  • Transcripts must be scanned front and back.
  • All pages of one transcript, front and back, should be uploaded as a single file (rather than a separate file for each page).
  • Please consult the document scanning and uploading instructions provided within the online application for detailed instructions.

Official Transcripts

To be considered official, academic records must either be received in official university envelopes, sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution, or be sent via secure electronic delivery* by the issuing institution. *Secure Electronic Delivery: the issuing institution sends a link to a secure site to Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (G+PS) at G+PS downloads the transcript from the secure site. Important: an e-transcript is downloaded via a link to a secure site. It is NOT an email attachment of any kind, even if sent from an authority at the issuing institution.

After being offered admission: If you have been offered admission conditional upon receipt of official documentation, you must provide UBC with one set of official transcripts for every postsecondary institution you have attended for the equivalent of one year or more of full-time study. UBC reserves the right to also require any individual applicant to provide official transcripts for study of less than one year duration. Do not send official transcripts before receiving an offer of admission unless you have received special instructions from the graduate program to which you have applied.

Documents being provided to meet conditions of admission, if not already provided to the graduate program initially, should be sent directly to:

Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies
The University of British Columbia
170 - 6371 Crescent Rd
Vancouver, BC CANADA  V6T 1Z2

Current and former UBC students

You do not need to submit UBC transcripts as part of your graduate application, as this data is already available through the student database system. However, be aware that you are still responsible for submitting transcripts from all other post-secondary institutions that you have attended (e.g., exchange year, transfer year, etc.).

Document Ownership

Documents submitted in support of applications become the property of the University and may not be returned to the applicant or student. Students who submit irreplaceable material may request the return of that material. Such requests must be submitted with the original material. The office to which the material is submitted will return the material as soon as possible, and not later than six months after the student's graduation or last registration.