We recognize that graduate students face ongoing challenges. The stress and uncertainty at this time can feel isolating and overwhelming, and maintaining a sense of community is more important than ever. This support group is a nonjudgmental online community where graduate students come together in solidarity to discuss what matters most to them, support each other, and apply grace and grit to succeed in their current challenges.
Time: Wednesdays, 3:30 – 4:45 pm, Oct 6 - Dec 1. To participate, you must be currently residing in British Columbia and have access to both a private and quiet space with a stable internet connection that can support Zoom. Please note that you can join the support group at any point during the term & that your attendance can be flexible & as needed. Feel free to join us for just a few or as many sessions as you like!
Register in advance for this meeting. Registration closes 60 minutes before the start time of the group session. Instructions for joining the meeting will be emailed to registered students before the session.
Topics and themes have included:
- Learning to be kind to yourself during the sticky times we travel through
- Connecting with other grad students who may be experiencing similar difficulties
- Developing self-leadership, and the tools and support to do that
- Being aware of and allowing emotions
- Creating helpful mindsets that support your progress in your studies
- Handling uncertainty and worry about academic and career goals
- Shifting and rebuilding routines during the pandemic
- Finding or creating meaning
- Dealing with loneliness and distance from support networks
- Staying motivated and creative; maintaining accountability in reaching your goals
- Living in alignment with your values; getting closer to the version of yourself that you want
- Creating work-life balance
- Coping with imposterism, procrastination and perfectionism
- Managing relationships with mentors and supervisors
The support group is not able to discuss medical concerns in these sessions.
Karen Flood, PhD, Psychologist, Counselling Services
Jan Ver Der Tempel, M.Phil., MA, Pre-doctoral Intern, Counselling Services
There are other online support groups that may be of interest to grad students including the student-parent group, the international student group, the racism and resilience group, and more.