As of December 2020, Thesis or Dissertation Approval forms must be submitted to your graduate program. The program will ensure that the form is complete and that the signatures/endorsements are genuine, and will forward the form to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies on your behalf.
Examining Committee members confirm their approval for submission of a defended dissertation or thesis by signing/endorsing either the Master's Thesis Approval form or the Doctoral Dissertation Approval form.
If necessary, each party required to sign the Thesis or Dissertation Approval form may sign/endorse a separate copy and send it back to you by fax or PDF scan so that you can submit all the forms together. We hope that this will make it easier for you to collect signatures from absent committee members.
Please note: In addition to signing/endorsing the Thesis/Dissertation Approval form, your supervisor must initial the form:
- to verify the content of the Preface;
- and EITHER to verify that approval of the UBC Office of Research Services was not required,
- OR to verify that approval of the UBC Office of Research Services was obtained for research.
If you would like a copy of this form for your records, please photocopy it before submitting it to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. We cannot make copies of the form once the thesis has been approved.
Master's Thesis Approval Form
Form must contain the signatures/endorsements of at least two examiners.
Graduate programs: Please ensure you have entered the student’s supervisory committee in the Supervisory Committee screen in SISC before sending in the Master's Thesis Approval form.
Instructions for using the Supervisory Committee screen are here:
- Go to the bottom of any page on the G+PS website
- Click on “Faculty and Staff Intranet”
- Login with your CWL
- Click on “Resources” in the top drop-down menu
- Choose “Documentation”
- Click on “Supervision & Supervisory Committee Screen in SISC (GRAD-11)” in the left-hand menu
Doctoral Dissertation Approval Form
Form must contain the signatures/endorsements of at least three examiners; your research supervisor, one University examiner, and one other examiner.