This section is only for final, post-defence submission of theses and dissertations.
Please follow these steps in order:
1. Download and complete the following forms from the Graduate Studies website:
- Dissertation Approval form (doctoral students only)
- Thesis Approval form (master's students only)
- Electronic Thesis/Dissertation Submission Cover Sheet
When you have completed your thesis defence and any changes required by the examining committee, your supervisor and committee member(s) will sign the Thesis or Dissertation Approval form.
2. Submit the completed forms to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. You can submit in person or by mail, but please submit ALL the forms at the same time. You can also scan the forms and send them to email@example.com.
If you are sending forms by mail or courier, please send them to this address:
Thesis Section, UBC Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, 170-6371 Crescent Road, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2 Canada
Please send your forms ahead of your planned submission date. Your cIRcle account cannot be activated until Graduate Studies has received your thesis forms.
3. Set up your cIRcle account by going to the UBC Library cIRcle User Registration page. See cIRcle Instructions for more details. Once you have created your cIRcle account, you will be sent an email message that allows you to set your password.
4. IMPORTANT: After setting your password, send an email to:
to request that your account be activated. You must include your name and email address in the body of the email. You will be notified when your account has been activated and you are able to submit your thesis. Please send the email AFTER you have submitted your forms, as your account cannot be activated until the forms have arrived at the appropriate Grad Studies office.
5. Convert your thesis to a single PDF. The PDF file must be compatible with Adobe Acrobat version 5, and must not be in "secured" format. Secured PDFs cannot be archived in perpetuity.
The preferred conversion tool is Adobe Acrobat. This ETD Tutorial provides information about PDFs including conversion from Microsoft Word to PDF.
For UBC-Vancouver students, the Koerner Library Research Commons on campus offers help with converting your thesis to a PDF.
Name the file using the following format, all lower case:
Your gradmonth is the month in which your degree will formally be conferred by Senate. It will be either February, May, September, or November. It might not be the same as the month in which you will be attending Congregation (convocation ceremonies), as Congregation is only held in May and November.
6. Submit your thesis to cIRcle. Your thesis will be reviewed and you will be notified by email if any changes need to be made.
Submit to the collection "Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETDs) 2008+". Do NOT submit to "GSS Open Scholar Award" collection as theses and dissertations are not eligible for this award.
Important: You must continue to check your email after submission so that you can make any required corrections. Your submission is not complete and you will not meet deadlines until your thesis has been approved, and you have received an official email receipt.
When your thesis meets Graduate Studies' requirements, you will receive email notification that it has been added to the UBC Library's cIRcle Institutional Repository.
Requesting a Delay in Publication of your Thesis
If you want to request a delay in publication of your thesis, you must do this before you submit electronically. See How to Request a Delay in Publication for instructions.