Relevant Degree Programs
Complete these steps before you reach out to a faculty member!
- Familiarize yourself with program requirements. You want to learn as much as possible from the information available to you before you reach out to a faculty member. Be sure to visit the graduate degree program listing and program-specific websites.
- Check whether the program requires you to seek commitment from a supervisor prior to submitting an application. For some programs this is an essential step while others match successful applicants with faculty members within the first year of study. This is either indicated in the program profile under "Admission Information & Requirements" - "Prepare Application" - "Supervision" or on the program website.
- Identify specific faculty members who are conducting research in your specific area of interest.
- Establish that your research interests align with the faculty member’s research interests.
- Read up on the faculty members in the program and the research being conducted in the department.
- Familiarize yourself with their work, read their recent publications and past theses/dissertations that they supervised. Be certain that their research is indeed what you are hoping to study.
- Compose an error-free and grammatically correct email addressed to your specifically targeted faculty member, and remember to use their correct titles.
- Do not send non-specific, mass emails to everyone in the department hoping for a match.
- Address the faculty members by name. Your contact should be genuine rather than generic.
- Include a brief outline of your academic background, why you are interested in working with the faculty member, and what experience you could bring to the department. The supervision enquiry form guides you with targeted questions. Ensure to craft compelling answers to these questions.
- Highlight your achievements and why you are a top student. Faculty members receive dozens of requests from prospective students and you may have less than 30 seconds to pique someone’s interest.
- Demonstrate that you are familiar with their research:
- Convey the specific ways you are a good fit for the program.
- Convey the specific ways the program/lab/faculty member is a good fit for the research you are interested in/already conducting.
- Be enthusiastic, but don’t overdo it.
G+PS regularly provides virtual sessions that focus on admission requirements and procedures and tips how to improve your application.
- An extension of the TALDICE ice core age scale reaching back to MIS 10.1 (2021)
Quaternary Science Reviews, 266
- A 4.5 Year-Long Record of Svalbard Water Vapor Isotopic Composition Documents Winter Air Mass Origin (2020)
Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 125 (23)
- A global database of Holocene paleotemperature records (2020)
Scientific Data, 7 (1)
- Author Correction: A global database of Holocene paleotemperature records (Scientific Data, (2020), 7, 1, (115), 10.1038/s41597-020-0445-3) (2020)
Scientific Data, 7 (1)
- Comparison of observed borehole temperatures in Antarctica with simulations using a forward model driven by climate model outputs covering the past millennium (2020)
Climate of the Past, 16 (4), 1411-1428
- Erratum: Publisher Correction: A global database of Holocene paleotemperature records (Scientific data (2020) 7 1 (115)) (2020)
Scientific data, 7 (1), 271
- New technique for high-precision, simultaneous measurements of CH4, N2O and CO2concentrations; Isotopic and elemental ratios of N2, O2and Ar; and total air content in ice cores by wet extraction (2020)
Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 13 (12), 6703-6731
- Publisher Correction: A global database of Holocene paleotemperature records (Scientific Data, (2020), 7, 1, (115), 10.1038/s41597-020-0445-3) (2020)
Scientific Data, 7 (1)
- Snowfall and Water Stable Isotope Variability in East Antarctica Controlled by Warm Synoptic Events (2020)
Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 125 (17)
- The Iso2k database: A global compilation of paleo-δ18O and δ2H records to aid understanding of Common Era climate (2020)
Earth System Science Data, 12 (3), 2261-2288
- Assessing the robustness of Antarctic temperature reconstructions over the past 2 millennia using pseudoproxy and data assimilation experiments (2019)
Climate of the Past, 15 (2), 661-684
- Coastal water vapor isotopic composition driven by katabatic wind variability in summer at Dumont d'Urville, coastal East Antarctica (2019)
Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 514, 37-47
- Estimation of the Antarctic surface mass balance using the regional climate model MAR (1979-2015) and identification of dominant processes (2019)
Cryosphere, 13 (1), 281-296
- Isotopic constraint on the twentieth-century increase in tropospheric ozone (2019)
Nature, 570 (7760), 224-227
- Unveiling the anatomy of Termination 3 using water and air isotopes in the Dome C ice core, East Antarctica (2019)
Quaternary Science Reviews, 211, 156-165
- Surface formation, preservation, and history of low-porosity crusts at the WAIS Divide site, West Antarctica (2018)
Cryosphere, 12 (1), 325-341
- Surface Temperature in Twentieth Century at the Styx Glacier, Northern Victoria Land, Antarctica, From Borehole Thermometry (2018)
Geophysical Research Letters, 45 (18), 9834-9842
- The Ross Sea Dipole-temperature, snow accumulation and sea ice variability in the Ross Sea region, Antarctica, over the past 2700 years (2018)
Climate of the Past, 14 (2), 193-214
- Water stable isotope spatiooral variability in Antarctica in 1960-2013: Observations and simulations from the ECHAM5-wiso atmospheric general circulation model (2018)
Climate of the Past, 14 (6), 923-946
- A global multiproxy database for temperature reconstructions of the Common Era (2017)
Scientific Data, 4
- Antarctic climate variability on regional and continental scales over the last 2000 years (2017)
Climate of the Past, 13 (11), 1609-1634
- Comparison of different methods to retrieve optical-equivalent snow grain size in central Antarctica (2017)
Cryosphere, 11 (6), 2727-2741
- Firn Model Intercomparison Experiment (FirnMICE) (2017)
Journal of Glaciology, 63 (239), 401-422
- Minimal geological methane emissions during the Younger Dryas-Preboreal abrupt warming event (2017)
Nature, 548 (7668), 443-446
- Modelling firn thickness evolution during the last deglaciation: Constraints on sensitivity to temperature and impurities (2017)
Climate of the Past, 13 (7), 833-853
- Surface studies of water isotopes in Antarctica for quantitative interpretation of deep ice core data (2017)
Comptes Rendus - Geoscience, 349 (4), 139-150
- The recent warming trend in North Greenland (2017)
Geophysical Research Letters, 44 (12), 6235-6243
- Assessing recent trends in high-latitude Southern Hemisphere surface climate (2016)
Nature Climate Change, 6 (10), 917-926
- Experimental determination and theoretical framework of kinetic fractionation at the water vapour-ice interface at low temperature (2016)
Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 174, 54-69
- How warm was Greenland during the last interglacial period? (2016)
Climate of the Past, 12 (9), 1933-1948
- Isotopic exchange on the diurnal scale between near-surface snow and lower atmospheric water vapor at Kohnen station, East Antarctica (2016)
Cryosphere, 10 (4), 1647-1663
- Measurements of 14C in ancient ice from Taylor Glacier, Antarctica constrain in situ cosmogenic 14CH4 and 14CO production rates (2016)
Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 177, 62-77
- Differentiating bubble-free layers from Melt layers in ice cores using noble gases (2015)
Journal of Glaciology, 61 (227), 585-594
- Observing and modeling the influence of layering on bubble trapping in polar firn (2015)
Journal of Geophysical Research, 120 (6), 2558-2574
- Precise interpolar phasing of abrupt climate change during the last ice age (2015)
Nature, 520 (7549), 661-665
- Recent changes in north-west Greenland climate documented by NEEM shallow ice core data and simulations, and implications for past-temperature reconstructions (2015)
Cryosphere, 9 (4), 1481-1504
- Core handling and processing for the WAIS Divide ice-core project (2014)
Annals of Glaciology, 55 (68), 15-26
- Corrigendum to "controls on the movement and composition of firn air at the West Antarctic ice sheet divide" (2014)
Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 14 (18), 9511
- Erratum: Gas transport in firn: Multiple-tracer characterisation and model intercomparison for NEEM, Northern Greenland (Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics (2012) 12 (4259-4277)) (2014)
Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 14 (7), 3571-3572
- Magnitude and temporal evolution of Dansgaard-Oeschger event 8 abrupt temperature change inferred from nitrogen and argon isotopes in GISP2 ice using a new least-squares inversion (2014)
Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 395, 81-90
- Climate science: The heat is on in Antarctica (2013)
Nature Geoscience, 6 (2), 87-88
- Eemian interglacial reconstructed from a Greenland folded ice core (2013)
Nature, 493 (7433), 489-494
- High-precision 14C measurements demonstrate production of in situ cosmogenic 14CH4 and rapid loss of in situ cosmogenic 14CO in shallow Greenland firn (2013)
Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 365, 190-197
- Onset of deglacial warming in West Antarctica driven by local orbital forcing (2013)
Nature, 500 (7463), 440-444
- Spatial gradients of temperature, accumulation and δ18O- ice in Greenland over a series of Dansgaard-Oeschger events (2013)
Climate of the Past, 9 (3), 1029-1051
- Gas transport in firn: Multiple-tracer characterisation and model intercomparison for NEEM, Northern Greenland (2012)
Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 12 (9), 4259-4277
- Little Ice Age cold interval in West Antarctica: Evidence from borehole temperature at the West Antarctic Ice Sheet (WAIS) Divide (2012)
Geophysical Research Letters, 39 (9)
- Controls on the movement and composition of firn air at the West Antarctic Ice Sheet Divide (2011)
Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 11 (21), 11007-11021