Relevant Degree Programs
Affiliations to Research Centres, Institutes & Clusters
Complete these steps before you reach out to a faculty member!
- Familiarize yourself with program requirements. You want to learn as much as possible from the information available to you before you reach out to a faculty member. Be sure to visit the graduate degree program listing and program-specific websites.
- Check whether the program requires you to seek commitment from a supervisor prior to submitting an application. For some programs this is an essential step while others match successful applicants with faculty members within the first year of study. This is either indicated in the program profile under "Admission Information & Requirements" - "Prepare Application" - "Supervision" or on the program website.
- Identify specific faculty members who are conducting research in your specific area of interest.
- Establish that your research interests align with the faculty member’s research interests.
- Read up on the faculty members in the program and the research being conducted in the department.
- Familiarize yourself with their work, read their recent publications and past theses/dissertations that they supervised. Be certain that their research is indeed what you are hoping to study.
- Compose an error-free and grammatically correct email addressed to your specifically targeted faculty member, and remember to use their correct titles.
- Do not send non-specific, mass emails to everyone in the department hoping for a match.
- Address the faculty members by name. Your contact should be genuine rather than generic.
- Include a brief outline of your academic background, why you are interested in working with the faculty member, and what experience you could bring to the department. The supervision enquiry form guides you with targeted questions. Ensure to craft compelling answers to these questions.
- Highlight your achievements and why you are a top student. Faculty members receive dozens of requests from prospective students and you may have less than 30 seconds to pique someone’s interest.
- Demonstrate that you are familiar with their research:
- Convey the specific ways you are a good fit for the program.
- Convey the specific ways the program/lab/faculty member is a good fit for the research you are interested in/already conducting.
- Be enthusiastic, but don’t overdo it.
G+PS regularly provides virtual sessions that focus on admission requirements and procedures and tips how to improve your application.
- Autophagy promotes immune evasion of pancreatic cancer by degrading MHC-I. (2020)
- Deuterium Tracing to Interrogate Compartment-Specific NAD(P)H Metabolism in Cultured Mammalian Cells. (2020)
Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.),
- Disruption of redox homeostasis for combinatorial drug efficacy in K-Ras tumors as revealed by metabolic connectivity profiling. (2020)
Cancer & metabolism,
- Respiratory Supercomplexes Promote Mitochondrial Efficiency and Growth in Severely Hypoxic Pancreatic Cancer. (2020)
- Selective Alanine Transporter Utilization Creates a Targetable Metabolic Niche in Pancreatic Cancer. (2020)
- KRAS4A directly regulates hexokinase 1. (2019)
- Glutamine metabolism via glutaminase 1 in autosomal-dominant polycystic kidney disease. (2018)
Nephrology, dialysis, transplantation : official publication of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association - European Renal Association,
- Posttranscriptional Upregulation of IDH1 by HuR Establishes a Powerful Survival Phenotype in Pancreatic Cancer Cells. (2017)
- Chasing One-Carbon Units to Understand the Role of Serine in Epigenetics. (2016)
- Distinct Metabolic States Can Support Self-Renewal and Lipogenesis in Human Pluripotent Stem Cells under Different Culture Conditions. (2016)
- Inhibition of acetyl-CoA carboxylase suppresses fatty acid synthesis and tumor growth of non-small-cell lung cancer in preclinical models. (2016)
- LKB1 promotes metabolic flexibility in response to energy stress. (2016)
- Reductive carboxylation supports redox homeostasis during anchorage-independent growth. (2016)
- Loss of succinate dehydrogenase activity results in dependency on pyruvate carboxylation for cellular anabolism. (2015)
- Metabolic consequences of oncogenic IDH mutations. (2015)
Pharmacology & therapeutics,
- IDH1 mutations alter citric acid cycle metabolism and increase dependence on oxidative mitochondrial metabolism. (2014)
- Regulation of substrate utilization by the mitochondrial pyruvate carrier. (2014)
- Tracing compartmentalized NADPH metabolism in the cytosol and mitochondria of mammalian cells. (2014)
- Macropinocytosis of protein is an amino acid supply route in Ras-transformed cells. (2013)
- Identification and mechanistic studies of a novel ubiquitin E1 inhibitor. (2012)
Journal of biomolecular screening,
- Largazole and its derivatives selectively inhibit ubiquitin activating enzyme (e1). (2012)