Relevant Degree Programs
Affiliations to Research Centres, Institutes & Clusters
Complete these steps before you reach out to a faculty member!
- Familiarize yourself with program requirements. You want to learn as much as possible from the information available to you before you reach out to a faculty member. Be sure to visit the graduate degree program listing and program-specific websites.
- Check whether the program requires you to seek commitment from a supervisor prior to submitting an application. For some programs this is an essential step while others match successful applicants with faculty members within the first year of study. This is either indicated in the program profile under "Admission Information & Requirements" - "Prepare Application" - "Supervision" or on the program website.
- Identify specific faculty members who are conducting research in your specific area of interest.
- Establish that your research interests align with the faculty member’s research interests.
- Read up on the faculty members in the program and the research being conducted in the department.
- Familiarize yourself with their work, read their recent publications and past theses/dissertations that they supervised. Be certain that their research is indeed what you are hoping to study.
- Compose an error-free and grammatically correct email addressed to your specifically targeted faculty member, and remember to use their correct titles.
- Do not send non-specific, mass emails to everyone in the department hoping for a match.
- Address the faculty members by name. Your contact should be genuine rather than generic.
- Include a brief outline of your academic background, why you are interested in working with the faculty member, and what experience you could bring to the department. The supervision enquiry form guides you with targeted questions. Ensure to craft compelling answers to these questions.
- Highlight your achievements and why you are a top student. Faculty members receive dozens of requests from prospective students and you may have less than 30 seconds to pique someone’s interest.
- Demonstrate that you are familiar with their research:
- Convey the specific ways you are a good fit for the program.
- Convey the specific ways the program/lab/faculty member is a good fit for the research you are interested in/already conducting.
- Be enthusiastic, but don’t overdo it.
G+PS regularly provides virtual sessions that focus on admission requirements and procedures and tips how to improve your application.
- Analysis of a predictor-corrector method for computationally efficient modeling of surface effects in 1D (2017)
Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, 15 (2), 892-919
- Convergence and cycling in walker-type saddle search algorithms (2017)
SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, 55 (5), 2204-2227
- Electronic density of states for incommensurate layers (2017)
Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, 15 (1), 476-499
- Locality of the Thomas–Fermi–von Weizsäcker Equations (2017)
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, 224 (3), 817-870
- Polytypism in the ground state structure of the Lennard-Jonesium (2017)
Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 19 (29), 19369-19376
- QM/MM methods for crystalline defects. part 2: Consistent energy and force-mixing (2017)
Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, 15 (1), 184-214
- Regularity and locality of point defects in multilattices (2017)
Applied Mathematics Research eXpress, 2017 (2), 297-337
- A dimer-type Saddle search algorithm withpreconditioning and linesearch (2016)
Mathematics of Computation, 85 (302), 2939-2966
- A universal preconditioner for simulating condensed phase materials (2016)
Journal of Chemical Physics, 144 (16)
- Analysis of blended atomistic/continuum hybrid methods (2016)
Numerische Mathematik, 134 (2), 275-326
- Analysis of Boundary Conditions for Crystal Defect Atomistic Simulations (2016)
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, 222 (3), 1217-1268
- Atomistic/continuum blending with ghost force correction (2016)
SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 38 (1), A346-A375
- QM/MM methods for crystalline defects. Part 1: Locality of the tight binding model (2016)
Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, 14 (1), 232-264
- Analysis of stable screw dislocation configurations in an antiplane lattice model (2015)
SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis, 47 (1), 291-320
- A posteriori error control for a quasi-continuum approximation of a periodic chain (2014)
IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis, 34 (3), 977-1001
- An approach to nonlinear viscoelasticity via metric gradient flows (2014)
SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis, 46 (2), 1317-1347
- Energy-based atomistic-to-continuum coupling without ghost forces (2014)
Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 279, 29-45
- Existence and Stability of a Screw Dislocation under Anti-Plane Deformation (2014)
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, 213 (3), 887-929
- Theory-based benchmarking of the blended force-based quasicontinuum method (2014)
Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 268, 763-781
- An adaptive finite element approximation of a generalized Ambrosio-Tortorelli functional (2013)
Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences, 23 (9), 1663-1697
- An analysis of the boundary layer in the 1D surface Cauchy–Born model (2013)
Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis, 47 (1), 109-123
- Analysis of an energy-based atomistic/continuum approximation of a vacancy in the 2d triangular lattice (2013)
Mathematics of Computation, 82 (284), 2191-2236
- Atomistic-to-continuum coupling (2013)
Acta Numerica, 22, 397-508
- Atomistic-to-continuum coupling approximation of a one-dimensional toy model for density functional theory (2013)
Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, 11 (1), 59-91
- Formulation and optimization of the energy-based blended quasicontinuum method (2013)
Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 253, 160-168
- Justification of the Cauchy-Born Approximation of Elastodynamics (2013)
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, 207 (3), 1025-1073
- Symmetries of 2-lattices and second order accuracy of the Cauchy-Born model (2013)
Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, 11 (2), 615-634
- Construction and sharp consistency estimates for atomistic/continuum coupling methods with general interfaces: A two-dimensional model problem (2012)
SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, 50 (6), 2940-2965
- On the stability of Bravais lattices and their Cauchy-Born approximations (2012)
ESAIM: Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis, 46 (1), 81-110
- Positive definiteness of the blended force-based quasicontinuum method (2012)
Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, 10 (3), 1023-1045
- Stress-based atomistic/continuum coupling: A new variant of the quasicontinuum approximation (2012)
International Journal for Multiscale Computational Engineering, 10 (1), 51-64
- The role of the patch test in 2D atomistic-to-continuum coupling methods (2012)
ESAIM: Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis, 46 (6), 1275-1319
- The spectrum of the force-based quasicontinuum operator for a homogeneous periodic chain (2012)
Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, 10 (3), 744-765
- A priori and a posteriori analysis of the quasinonlocal quasicontinuum method in 1D (2011)
Mathematics of Computation, 80 (275), 1265-1285
- A priori error analysis of two force-based atomistic/continuum models of a periodic chain (2011)
Numerische Mathematik, 119 (1), 83-121
- A priori error estimates for energy-based quasicontinuum approximations of a periodic Chain (2011)
Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences, 21 (12), 2491-2521
- A priori error estimates for optimal control problems with pointwise constraints on the gradient of the state (2011)
Numerische Mathematik, 118 (3), 587-600
- Adaptive finite element approximation of the Francfort-Marigo model of brittle fracture (2011)
Springer Optimization and Its Applications, 42, 297-310
- Iterative methods for the force-based quasicontinuum approximation: Analysis of a 1D model problem (2011)
Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 200 (37-40), 2697-2709
- Nonconforming finite-element discretization of convex variational problems (2011)
IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis, 31 (3), 847-864
- On the convergence of adaptive nonconforming finite element methods for a class of convex variational problems (2011)
SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, 49 (1), 346-367
- Robust a priori and a posteriori error analysis for the approximation of allen-cahn and ginzburg-landau equations past topological changes (2011)
SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, 49 (1), 110-134
- Accuracy of quasicontinuum approximations near instabilities (2010)
Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 58 (10), 1741-1757
- An adaptive finite element approximation of a variational model of brittle fracture (2010)
SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, 48 (3), 980-1012
- Analysis of a Class of Penalty Methods for Computing Singular Minimizers (2010)
Computational Methods in Applied Mathematics, 10 (2), 137-163
- Convergence of simple adaptive Galerkin schemes based on h - h/2 error estimators (2010)
Numerische Mathematik, 116 (2), 291-316
- Existence and convergence results for the galerkin approximation of an electronic density functional (2010)
Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences, 20 (12), 2237-2265
- Existence of solutions to a regularized model of dynamic fracture (2010)
Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences, 20 (7), 1021-1048
- Sharp stability estimates for the force-based quasicontinuum approximation of homogeneous tensile deformation (2010)
Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, 8 (3), 782-802
- Stability, Instability, and Error of the Force-based Quasicontinuum Approximation (2010)
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, 197 (1), 179-202
- An analysis of node-based cluster summation rules in the quasicontinuum method (2009)
SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, 47 (4), 3070-3086
- Compact embeddings of broken Sobolev spaces and applications (2009)
IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis, 29 (4), 827-855
- Analysis of a quasicontinuum method in one dimension (2008)
Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis, 42 (1), 57-91
- Quasi-static crack propagation by Griffith's criterion (2008)
Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences, 18 (11), 1895-1925
- Discontinuous Galerkin finite element approximation of nonlinear second-order elliptic and hyperbolic systems (2007)
SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, 45 (4), 1370-1397
- Gradient flows as a selection procedure for equilibria of nonconvex energies (2006)
SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis, 38 (4), 1214-1234