Relevant Degree Programs
Affiliations to Research Centres, Institutes & Clusters
I am interested in and conduct interdisciplinary research.
Any time / year round
Work productivity loss measurement;
Economic evaluation of health interventions
Complete these steps before you reach out to a faculty member!
- Familiarize yourself with program requirements. You want to learn as much as possible from the information available to you before you reach out to a faculty member. Be sure to visit the graduate degree program listing and program-specific websites.
- Check whether the program requires you to seek commitment from a supervisor prior to submitting an application. For some programs this is an essential step while others match successful applicants with faculty members within the first year of study. This is either indicated in the program profile under "Admission Information & Requirements" - "Prepare Application" - "Supervision" or on the program website.
Focus your search
- Identify specific faculty members who are conducting research in your specific area of interest.
- Establish that your research interests align with the faculty member’s research interests.
- Read up on the faculty members in the program and the research being conducted in the department.
- Familiarize yourself with their work, read their recent publications and past theses/dissertations that they supervised. Be certain that their research is indeed what you are hoping to study.
Make a good impression
- Compose an error-free and grammatically correct email addressed to your specifically targeted faculty member, and remember to use their correct titles.
- Do not send non-specific, mass emails to everyone in the department hoping for a match.
- Address the faculty members by name. Your contact should be genuine rather than generic.
- Include a brief outline of your academic background, why you are interested in working with the faculty member, and what experience you could bring to the department. The supervision enquiry form guides you with targeted questions. Ensure to craft compelling answers to these questions.
- Highlight your achievements and why you are a top student. Faculty members receive dozens of requests from prospective students and you may have less than 30 seconds to pique someone’s interest.
- Demonstrate that you are familiar with their research:
- Convey the specific ways you are a good fit for the program.
- Convey the specific ways the program/lab/faculty member is a good fit for the research you are interested in/already conducting.
- Be enthusiastic, but don’t overdo it.
Attend an information session
G+PS regularly provides virtual sessions that focus on admission requirements and procedures and tips how to improve your application.
- Influenza vaccination for HIV-positive people: Systematic review and network meta-analysis (2018)
- The association between chronic conditions and non-agricultural work productivity loss among the middle-aged Chinese population (2018)
Journal of occupational and environmental medicine,
- Do Biologic Therapies for Rheumatoid Arthritis Offset Treatment-Related Resource Utilization and Cost? A Review of the Literature and an Instrumental Variable Analysis (2017)
Current rheumatology reports,
- The impact of price-cap regulations on market entry by generic pharmaceutical firms (2017)
Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics & Outcomes Research, 17 (2), 231-238
- Valuing productivity loss due to absenteeism: firm-level evidence from a Canadian linked employer-employee survey. (2017)
Health economics review, 7 (1), 3
- Impact of etanercept tapering on work productivity in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis: results from the PRIZE study. (2016)
RMD open, 2 (2), e000222
- The Impact of Price-cap Regulations on Exit by Generic Pharmaceutical Firms (2016)
Medical Care, 54 (9), 884-890
- The relationship between chronic conditions and absenteeism and associated costs in Canada (2016)
Scandinavian Journal of Work Environment & Health, 42 (5), 413-422
- Estimating the monetary value of the annual productivity gained in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis receiving etanercept plus methotrexate: interim results from the PRIZE study. (2015)
RMD open, 1 (1), e000042
- Illness related wage and productivity losses: Valuing 'presenteeism' (2015)
Social Science & Medicine, 147, 62-71
- Systematic Review of Cost-Effectiveness Analyses of Treatments for Psoriasis (2015)
Pharmacoeconomics, 33 (4), 327-340
- Health-Related Productivity Loss: NICE to Recognize Soon, Good to Discuss Now (2014)
Pharmacoeconomics, 32 (5), 425-427
- The Preventable Burden of Productivity Loss Due to Suboptimal Asthma Control A Population - Based Study (2014)
Chest, 145 (4), 787-793
- The impacts of health insurance on health care utilization among the older people in China (2013)
Social Science & Medicine, 85, 59-65
- An update on the measurement of productivity losses due to rheumatoid diseases (2012)
Best Practice & Research in Clinical Rheumatology, 26 (5), 585-597
- Development of a Composite Questionnaire, the Valuation of Lost Productivity, to Value Productivity Losses: Application in Rheumatoid Arthritis (2012)
Value in Health, 15 (1), 46-54
- Does achieving clinical response prevent work stoppage or work absence among employed patients with early rheumatoid arthritis? (2012)
Rheumatology, 51 (2), 270-274
- Factors associated with absenteeism, presenteeism and activity impairment in patients in the first years of RA (2012)
Rheumatology, 51 (2), 375-384
- Work disability rates in RA. Results from an inception cohort with 24 years follow-up (2012)
Rheumatology, 51 (2), 385-392
- Measuring and valuing productivity loss due to poor health: A critical review (2011)
Social Science & Medicine, 72 (2), 185-192
- Measuring the Impact of Arthritis on Worker Productivity: Perspectives, Methodologic Issues, and Contextual Factors (2011)
Journal of Rheumatology, 38 (8), 1776-1790
- Measuring Time Input Loss Among Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis Validity and Reliability of the Valuation of Lost Productivity Questionnaire (2011)
Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 53 (5), 530-536
- The economic burden of rheumatoid arthritis: beyond health care costs (2011)
Clinical Rheumatology, 30, S25-S32
- Cost-effectiveness of Anticipatory and Preventive multidisciplinary Team Care for complex patients Evidence from a randomized controlled trial (2010)
Canadian Family Physician, 56 (1), E20-E29
- Obesity and overweight in Canada: an updated cost-of-illness study (2010)
Obesity Reviews, 11 (1), 31-40
- Productivity Loss Due to Presenteeism Among Patients with Arthritis: Estimates from 4 Instruments (2010)
Journal of Rheumatology, 37 (9), 1805-1814
- The Work Instability Scale for Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA-WIS): Does it work in osteoarthritis? (2010)
Quality of Life Research, 19 (7), 1057-1068
- The Work Instability Scale for Rheumatoid Arthritis Predicts Arthritis-Related Work Transitions Within 12 Months (2010)
Arthritis Care & Research, 62 (11), 1578-1587
- Validity of the work productivity and activity impairment questionnaire - general health version in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (2010)
Arthritis Research & Therapy, 12 (5)
- Work Productivity Among Employed Canadians With Arthritis (2010)
Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 52 (9), 872-877
- Health Insurance and Out-of-Pocket Expenses (2009)
Arthritis & Rheumatism-Arthritis Care & Research, 61 (11), 1467-1469
- Measuring Worker Productivity: Frameworks and Measures (2009)
Journal of Rheumatology, 36 (9), 2100-2109
- Randomized controlled trial of Anticipatory and Preventive multidisciplinary Team Care For complex patients in a community-based primary care setting (2009)
Canadian Family Physician, 55 (12), E76-E85
- The effect of etanercept on work productivity in patients with early active rheumatoid arthritis: results from the COMET study (2009)
Rheumatology, 48 (10), 1283-1289
- The incidence of co-morbidities related to obesity and overweight: A systematic review and meta-analysis (2009)
Bmc Public Health, 9
- Short-term influence of adalimumab on work productivity outcomes in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (2008)
Journal of Rheumatology, 35 (9), 1729-1736
- Patient, informal caregiver and care provider acceptance of a hospital in the home program in Ontario, Canada (2007)
Bmc Health Services Research, 7
- The costs of preventing the spread of respiratory infection in family physician offices: a threshold analysis (2007)
Bmc Health Services Research, 7