Master of Engineering Leadership in Urban Systems (MEL)
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Urban Systems is designed for early-career professionals with undergraduate credentials in disciplines related to urban systems who want to advance their careers in this in-demand area. The program equips you with the high-level technical skills needed to develop practical and sustainable solutions to meet the challenges associated with large urban infrastructure systems.
Cities and their growing populations depend on infrastructure to provide energy, water, sanitation, telecommunications and healthcare. Developing and maintaining infrastructure solutions that are safe, affordable, reliable, environmentally sustainable and resilient over the long term is a challenge of incredible complexity and breadth.
The MEL in Urban Systems degree integrates engineering, urban planning, management and leadership into a single program. Students gain high-level technical skills that enable them to understand and manage the challenges associated with large urban infrastructure systems while acquiring management and leadership training - a skill set that is highly relevant in today’s business environment.
The MEL a 12-month degree starting in January that follows a project-based curriculum. While 70 per cent of your Urban Systems courses will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 30 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business. Please contact us if you would like to find out more about the MEL in Urban Systems.
What makes the program unique?
It only takes 12 months to complete the program and get an MEL degree. Starting in January, in the Urban Systems program, you will:
- Deepen your technical skills
- Sharpen your business skills
- Develop as a leader
- Collaborate with industry partners
MEL students are required to have professional experience before starting the program. That means you will be part of a mature student cohort with a variety of professional and career experiences to draw on when you collaborate on projects with one another. Access to this diversity of knowledge and experience is essential to your development.
Read some of our alumni stories on our website to find out how our graduates have gone on to excel their careers with their UBC MEL in Urban Systems degree.
Meet a UBC representative
Facebook Live Event: Q&A with UBC Graduate Student Ambassadors - Int'l Students SessionFacebook Live Event
Date: Thursday, 01 November 2018
Time: 10:00 to 11:00
Join our first ever Facebook Live Q&A session with our UBC Graduate Student Ambassadors as they share their experiences as international students at UBC. Topics include moving to Canada, settling in, making friends, and more. Watch and participate in the livestream on the UBC Grad School Facebook page, @ubcgradschool. Submit a question for our ambassadors in advance and sign up for a reminder. Please note: we will not be able to answer questions regarding specific application and admissions policies or any that involve personal information.
Applications for January 2019, the MEL degrees will admit in three application rounds:
1st Round: June 1, 2018 (Decision by July 1, 2018)
2nd Round: August 1, 2018 (Decision by September 1, 2018)
Final Round: October 1, 2018 (Decision by November 1, 2018)
We highly recommend international students to apply by June 1st to ensure plenty time to allow for processing of study permits.
TOEFL (ibT) Overall Score Requirement
IELTS Overall Score Requirement
Prior degree requirements
Applicants must hold an undergraduate credential in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning or related discipline and demonstrate competence in quantitative methods.
Applicants require a minimum of three years of relevant professional experience.
Being a professional program, there are no scholarships, grants or funding offered by UBC for MEL students. Students who require financial assistance are encouraged to look for external scholarships or loans that may be available to them. Provincial student loans are available to domestic students.
Tuition / Program Costs
|Fees||Canadian Citizen / Permanent Resident / Refugee / Diplomat||International|
|Installments per year||3||3|
|Tuition per installment||$9,550.87||$16,755.15|
|Int. Tuition Award (ITA) per year (if eligible)||Not applicable|
|Other Fees and Costs|
|Student Fees (yearly)||$930.14 (approx.)|
|Costs of living (yearly)||starting at $16,884.10 (check cost calculator)|
|Deposit to accept offer (if admitted)|
All fees for the year are subject to adjustment and UBC reserves the right to change any fees without notice at any time, including tuition and student fees. In case of a discrepancy between this webpage and the UBC Calendar, the UBC Calendar entry will be held to be correct.