The UBC Certificate in High Performance Coaching and Technical Leadership is a one-year, 12 credit specialized program for experienced sport coaches and technical managers who are looking to advance in their careers. Through a partnership with the leading national agencies in high performance sport, an international quality program is offered using a blended delivery model.
What makes the program unique?
The development of skills in analysis and evidence-based decision-making has been identified as a critical need by national coaches and technical leaders, and this program will help develop the next generation of coaches and technical leaders for Canada and across the globe. Our online teaching methods will facilitate the participation of candidates from across Canada and around the world.
This is a one-year, part-time program that typically uses a blend of online and face-to-face (F2F) course delivery, with a scheduled designed for working professionals.
Earn modules within NCCP Advanced Coaching Diploma and 12 university credits applicable towards a Master’s degree.
The program will start with a 3-day orientation, introducing the three formal courses (KIN 515, 585 & 586) and establishing work plans for the Directed Field Study (KIN 598). The courses will be delivered online with added synchronous classes scheduled throughout the fall and winter terms. All courses will conclude with a face-to-face session.
- KIN 515 - Gap Analysis
- KIN 585 - Performance Planning
- KIN 586 - Coaching Effectiveness
- KIN 598 - Directed Field Studies: Practicum
Prior Degree Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in Human Kinetics, Physical Education, Kinesiology or another related field of study.
Candidates will normally have:
- 5 years of coaching experience, including coaching athletes at the national team or Canada Games level, or 5 years as a carded National Team athlete
- National Coaching Certification Program qualification at level 3 or "Competition Development" recommendation of the National or Provincial Sports Organization