Unclassified Students

Calendar: https://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=2,32,0,0

Form: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/forms/enrolment-non-degree-students-graduate-course

An Unclassified student is one who is enrolled for studies not intended to lead to a particular degree or diploma.

Main points

  • Unclassified students should already have a recognized degree
  • Admission as an unclassified student does not guarantee that a student will be able to register for any course offered, nor does it imply future admission as a regular student.
  • Unclassified students may only take graduate courses with the approval of the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
  • Courses taken as an unclassified student may be approved for transfer toward a graduate program on permission of the department and the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. See the Calendar for more information on allowable transfer credits.
  • Unclassified courses that are used to raise a student’s GPA to the minimum level required for admission to a graduate program are not transferable to that graduate program.
  • Fees for Unclassified students can be found in the Calendar.

More Information

A student may also enrol as an unclassified student for the following reasons:

  • to upgrade grade point averages by taking additional courses at the senior undergraduate level;
  • to make up specific prerequisite courses which are required for admission into specific graduate programs
  • to make up one additional year because the applicant only holds a three-year undergraduate degree

Students may be asked to take a load of up to 30 credits. Applicants with a three-year degree (equivalent to 90 credits) must take the full 30 credits. The courses that make up these credits must include the specific courses that the student has to take in order to fulfill prerequisite requirements, as the marks required (minimum number of credits, minimum average, minimum number of credits with first class marks) to demonstrate an acceptable level of academic achievement must be specified.


For unclassified students applying to take a graduate course:

  1. Contact the instructor of the course you wish to take.
  2. Download and complete the “Enrolment of Non-Degree Students in a Graduate Course” form from the  Grad Studies website.
  3. Obtain the signatures of the course instructor and graduate advisor of the program or department offering the course, indicating their approval.
  4. Send the form to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.