A student whose academic background entitles him or her to serious consideration for admission to graduate studies but who is considered to be inadequately prepared to enter a graduate program in the specific discipline may be admitted as a qualifying student. Qualifying students are not considered graduate students.
- If, at the end of a qualifying term or year, the graduate program and the Faculty of Graduate Studies are satisfied with the calibre of the student's work, the student may apply for admission to a graduate degree program.
- Courses taken during a qualifying year or term that are necessary in order to meet the requirements for full admission to Graduate Studies cannot be transferred to a subsequent graduate program. However, other courses may be transferred upon the recommendation of the department and with the approval of the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- Qualifying student status is available only to applicants who do not require a study permit to enter Canada.
Applicants to a qualifying year may:
- have academic grade point averages that too low for admission, but that could feasibly be brought up to the required level given high marks in a year of additional work at the senior undergraduate level
- be lacking specific prerequisite courses for admission, but only to the extent that could be remedied within one year of qualifying study
- hold a three-year Canadian undergraduate degree (except for graduates from Quebec universities who have completed the Diplome d'Etudes Collegiales).
- A qualifying year is typically composed of an additional 21-30 undergraduate credits.
- Qualifying students may not register in graduate courses without specific permission in advance from the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- Qualifying status is granted only to those students who are recommended by the graduate program in which they wish to pursue graduate studies. If the department recommendation is approved a letter will be sent to the applicant with the terms and conditions of year of qualifying studies.