Important: This section is only for final, post-defence submission of theses and dissertations.
cIRcle is the UBC Library's Information Repository. You will submit your thesis electronically through the cIRcle website.
Important: Once it has been approved by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and accepted by cIRcle, your thesis cannot be recalled. Please be sure you have thoroughly proofread your thesis before submitting.
For more information about cIRcle, see the cIRcle FAQs.
Step 1. Submit your completed thesis forms to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
Please submit ALL your forms at the same time.
Step 2. Set up your cIRcle account
- Go to the UBC Library cIRcle User Registration page.
- Enter your email address. Do not use your CWL.
- You will be sent an email message referring you to a URL to complete the registration process and set your password. Please do this right away; you may get an 'Invalid token' error message if you delay too long. If that happens, please start the login registration process again from the beginning.
- After setting your password, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and email address in the body of the email. Please make sure you use the same email address that you entered in cIRcle. CREATIVE ARTS ONLY: If you are submitting an MFA or MMus thesis to the "Electronic Theses and Dissertations in Creative Arts, 2017+ (CWL ACCESS)" collection, you must state this in the email to email@example.com. Otherwise you will not be able to submit to this collection.
- If the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies has received your forms, your cIRcle account will be activated and you will receive an email confirming that you can now submit your thesis. Depending on when you submit your forms, this may be done on the same day or the following working day.
Step 3. Submit your thesis
- Go to the cIRcle Log In page and use your email address and password to sign in to cIRcle.
- Under "My Account" in the left sidebar, click on "Submissions".
- Click on "Start another submission" or "Start a New Submission".
- Add your thesis information in the appropriate boxes and menus. Click the "Next" button when you have finished with each step. Note that you can cancel or save your submission at any time. If you save your incomplete submission, you can log in to continue it at any time.
Important: If you have not requested an embargo and received an email confirming an embargo period, please leave the field "Embargo Access until Specific Date" blank.
Submit to the collection "Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETDs) 2008+". Do NOT submit to the "Graduate Research [non-thesis]" collection.
CREATIVE ARTS ONLY: For MFA and MMus theses, you may choose to submit to the collection "Electronic Theses and Dissertations in Creative Arts, 2017+ (CWL ACCESS)". Access to this collection is permanently restricted to individuals with a Campus-Wide Login. Please see the cIRcle: Uploading Electronic Creative Arts Theses for specific details and instructions.
Important: If there are special characters (for example, diacritics or symbols) in your title or abstract, you can enter them in cIRcle by following the instructions in Entering Special Characters at the bottom of this page.
- Upload your thesis. The file name must be in the following format, all lower case:
- Example: ubc_2017_september_houdini_harry.pdf
Your gradmonth is the month in which your degree will formally be conferred by Senate. It will be either February, May, September, or November. It might not be the same as the month in which you will be attending Congregation (convocation ceremonies), as Congregation is only held in May and November
IMPORTANT: Ensure that there are no spaces in your file name; use underscores instead. The file name must be all lower case.
Then click on the "Browse" button and locate the file on your computer. Click "Upload."
- Confirm that you have uploaded the correct file
- The next page is a check for duplicate files. Click "Next".
- Complete the Creative Commons Licence questions. You may wish to review the options on the Creative Commons website before starting your final submission.
- Read and approve the UBC cIRcle Licence. Please read the licence carefully.
- Once you have made your submission, the final screen will indicate that the submission was successful.
- The thesis will be reviewed within three working days and you will be notified by email if any changes need to be made.
- After you have made changes, log back in to cIRcle and re-submit your corrected thesis. Important: Please be sure to remove the original file before uploading the corrected file.
- It may take up to three business days for your thesis to be reviewed. When Graduate Studies has reviewed and approved your thesis, you will receive email notification. Your thesis has not been approved until you receive this email. Electronic theses are reviewed only during regular office hours.
Please note: It is your responsibility to meet all submission requirements. If the thesis does not meet formatting requirements it will not be approved. You will be required to make corrections and re-submit the thesis at a later date. Any delay caused by correcting and re-submitting the thesis is your responsibility, and may cause you to miss important deadlines. You are encouraged to submit your thesis well in advance of deadlines.
Entering Special Characters
If there are special characters (for example, diacritics or symbols) in your title or abstract, you can enter them in cIRcle by following the instructions below.
Note: Titles may contain diacritics (accents), but not symbols.
- Open the title/abstract in Word.
- On the Insert menu, select Symbol.
- Select “Arial Unicode MS” from the font menu. This list has many, but not all subscripts, superscripts, math symbols, etc.
- Select the symbol, then click Insert.
- Copy/paste the text from Word into cIRcle.
- Go to Start - Programs – Accessories – Character Map.
- Select “Arial Unicode MS” from the font menu.
- Tick “Advanced view” and then select “Unicode subrange” from the “group by” dropdown list.
- Select the character(s) you want in Character Map, and then copy and paste it directly into the cIRcle submission form.
If neither of these options works for you or the inserted characters won’t display properly in cIRcle, leave them as plain (ASCII) text and they will be corrected as much as possible by a thesis metadata reviewer.
Note: It may not be possible to render certain symbols correctly in the cIRcle abstract field. Readers can download the PDF of your thesis to read the correct abstract.