Physics provides research opportunities in many subfields of physics, including
- applied physics: this effort has spawned a number of spin-off companies.
- medical physics: be involved in a broad range of medical physics research in the areas of radiation therapy, medical imaging, biomedical optics and radiation biophysics.
- biophysics: the application of quantitative principles and methods to biological systems.
- nuclear and particle physics: the aim of subatomic physics is to understand matter and the fundamental forces in the universe and ultimately form a Theory of Everything.
- astronomy and astrophysics: study stars, galaxies, the material in between, and the Universe as a whole.
- atomic, molecular, and optical physics: this field is rapidly expanding and serves as the basis for many modern technological innovations.
- condensed matter physics is concerned with understanding and exploiting the properties of solids and liquids and the large area that this covers makes it the largest field of contemporary physics.
- theoretical physics: Gravity and Relativity, String Theory, High Energy Physics, and Condensed Matter Theory, to Quantum Information and Biophysics
Explore our Programs in Physics
Faculty Members in Physics
|Van Waerbeke, Ludovic||astrophysics, cosmology, dark energy, universe, gravitational lensing, galaxy, galaxies, Cosmology, dark matter, galaxy formation, structure formation|
|Waltham, Christopher||Physical sciences; Musical Acoustics|
|Whitehead, Lorne||Atomic, molecular, and optical physics; Education; Economics and business administration; Applied optics; Applied physics, especially novel geometrical approaches; Illuminating engineering and display technology; Optimizing innovation and enhancing learning within higher education|
|Ye, Ziliang||Physical sciences; Nanomaterials; Optics and Photonics|
|Zhitnitsky, Ariel||Particle theory, cosmology, quantum chromodymics, hadrons, axion physics, physcs of neutron stars, inflation models, dark matter problem|
|Zhou, Fei||Condensed matter and theoretical physics, Ultra Cold Atoms Near Resonances|
|Zou, Ke||2D crystals, molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) synthesis, heterostructures, gated field effect transistors (FETs)|