Chinten James Lim
Relevant Degree Programs
Complete these steps before you reach out to a faculty member!
- Familiarize yourself with the program requirements. You want to learn as much as possible from the information available to you before you reach out to a faculty member. Be sure to visit our graduate degree program listings and program-specific websites.
- Check whether the program requires you to seek commitment from a supervisor prior to submitting an application. For some programs this is an essential step while others match successful applicants with faculty members within the first year of study.
- Identify specific faculty members who are conducting research in your specific area of interest.
- Establish that your research interests align with the faculty member’s research interests.
- Read up on the faculty members in the program and the research being conducted in the department
- Familiarize yourself with their work, read their recent publications and past theses/dissertations that they supervised. Be certain that their research is indeed what you are hoping to study.
- Compose an error-free and grammatically correct email addressed to your specifically targeted faculty member, and remember to use their correct titles.
- Do not send non-specific, mass emails to everyone in the department hoping for a match.
- Address the faculty members by name. Your contact should be genuine rather than generic.
- Include a brief outline of your academic background, why you are interested in working with the faculty member, and what experience you could bring to the department.
- Highlight your achievements and why you are a top student. Faculty members receive dozens of requests from prospective students and you may have less than 30 seconds to peek someone’s interest.
- Provide documents that can help the faculty member gauge interest in you as a potential student. This could be a Statement of Intent, a Writing Sample, a list of publications or research endeavors.
- Demonstrate that you are familiar with their research
- Convey the specific ways you are a good fit for the program
- Convey the specific ways the program/lab/faculty member is a good fit for the research you are interested in/already conducting
- Be enthusiastic, but don’t overdo it.
G+PS regularly provides virtual sessions that focus on admission requirements and procedures and tips how to improve your application.
Integrin cell adhesion in chemotherapeutic resistance. Immunogenic cell death. Cardiomyocyte biology. Pediatric oncology.
Graduate Student Supervision
Doctoral Student Supervision (2008-2017)
Master's Student Supervision (2010-2017)
- Role of SDF-1/CXCR4 signaling in regulation of PKA activity during cell migration (2014)
- Steam pre-treatment and leaching for the production of high quality oil palm residue pellets (2014)
- The role of interactions between 4N1K and CD47 on integrin activation and integrin-mediated cell adhesion (2014)
- Studies on encapsulation of pelletized biomass (2013)
- CD47-ligation induced cell death in T-acute lymphoblastic leukemia (2018)
Pascal Leclair and Chi-Chao Liu and Mahdis Monajemi and Gregor S. Reid and Laura M. Sly and Chinten James Lim
Cell Death & Disease 9 (5)
- Combination therapy with proteasome inhibitors and TLR agonists enhances tumour cell death and IL-1β production (2018)
Cell Death & Disease
- Reactive oxygen species stress increases accumulation of tyrosyl-DNA phsosphodiesterase 1 within mitochondria (2018)
- Switching Cyclic Nucleotide-Selective Activation of Cyclic Adenosine Monophosphate-Dependent Protein Kinase Holoenzyme Reveals Distinct Roles of Tandem Cyclic Nucleotide-Binding Domains (2017)
Daniel He and Robin Lorenz and Choel Kim and Friedrich W. Herberg and Chinten James Lim
ACS Chemical Biology
- A magnetically actuated cellular strain assessment tool for quantitative analysis of strain induced cellular reorientation and actin alignment (2016)
F. Khademolhosseini and C.-C. Liu and C. J. Lim and M. Chiao
Review of Scientific Instruments 87 (8) 085004
- Janus films with stretchable and waterproof properties for wound care and drug delivery applications (2016)
Lee, E. and Zhang, H. and Jackson, J.K. and Lim, C.J. and Chiao, M.
RSC Advances 6 (83) 79900-79909
- Magnetically actuated microstructured surfaces can actively modify cell migration behaviour (2016)
Khademolhosseini, F. and Liu, C. -C. and Lim, C. J. and Chiao, M.
Biomedical Microdevices 18 (1)
- α-Integrin expression and function modulates presentation of cell surface calreticulin (2016)
Liu, C. C. and Leclair, P. and Monajemi, M. and Sly, L. M. and Reid, G. S. and Lim, C. J.
Cell Death Dis 7 e2268
- Application of periodic loads on cells from magnetic micropillar arrays impedes cellular migration (2015)
Farzad Khademolhosseini and Chi-Chao Liu and Chinten J. Lim and Mu Chiao
2015 28th IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS) 2015- (Febru) 624-627
- Rational design of a PKA-based sensor for cGMP (2015)
Robin Lorenz and Daniel He and Choel Kim and Chinten J Lim and Friedrich W Herberg
BMC Pharmacology and Toxicology 16 (Suppl) A64
- Arginase activity in alternatively activated macrophages protects PI3Kp110 delta deficient mice from dextran sodium sulfate induced intestinal inflammation (2014)
Weisser, Shelley B. and Kozicky, Lisa K. and Brugger, Hayley K. and Ngoh, Eyler N. and Cheung, Bonnie and Jen, Roger and Menzies, Susan C. and Samarakoon, Asanga and Murray, Peter J. and Lim, C. James and Johnson, Pauline and Boucher, Jean-Luc and van Rooijen, Nico and Sly, Laura M.
European Journal of Immunology 44 (11) 3353-3367
- CD47-Independent Effects Mediated by the TSP-Derived 4N1K Peptide. (2014)
Leclair, Pascal and Lim, Chinten James
PloS one 9 (5) e98358
- Spatial regulation of Aurora A activity during mitotic spindle assembly requires RHAMM to correctly localize TPX2 (2014)
Chen, H. and Mohan, P. and Jiang, J. and Nemirovsky, O. and He, D. and Fleisch, M.C. and Niederacher, D. and Pilarski, L.M. and Lim, C.J. and Maxwell, C.A.
Cell Cycle 13 (14) 2248-2261
- The Membrane Proximal KxGFFKR Motif of α-Integrin Mediates Chemoresistance (2013)
Liu, C. C. and Leclair, P. and Yap, S. Q. and Lim, C. J.
Mol Cell Biol
- Two modes of integrin activation form a binary molecular switch in adhesion maturation (2013)
Lee, H.-S. and Anekal, P. and Lim, C.J. and Liu, C.-C. and Ginsberg, M.H.
Molecular Biology of the Cell 24 (9) 1354-1362
- Protein Tyrosine Phosphatase alpha Phosphotyrosyl-789 Binds BCAR3 To Position Cas for Activation at Integrin-Mediated Focal Adhesions (2012)
Sun, Guobin and Cheng, Suzanne Y. S. and Chen, Min and Lim, Chinten James and Pallen, Catherine J.
Molecular and Cellular Biology 32 (18) 3776-3789
- The Conserved Kxgffkr Motif of alpha-Integrin Cytoplasmic Tail Mediates Chemoresistance to Doxorubicin in T-Cell Leukemia (2012)
Liu, Chi-Chao and Leclair, Pascal and He, Daniel and Yap, Eva and Lim, Chinten James
Blood 120 (21)
- beta Integrin Tyrosine Phosphorylation Is a Conserved Mechanism for Regulating Talin-induced Integrin Activation (2009)
Anthis, Nicholas J. and Haling, Jacob R. and Oxley, Camilla L. and Memo, Massimiliano and Wegener, Kate L. and Lim, Chinten J. and Ginsberg, Mark H. and Campbell, Iain D.
Journal of Biological Chemistry 284 (52) 36700-36710
- RIAM Activates Integrins by Linking Talin to Ras GTPase Membrane-targeting Sequences (2009)
Lee, Ho-Sup and Lim, Chinten James and Puzon-McLaughlin, Wilma and Shattil, Sanford J. and Ginsberg, Mark H.
Journal of Biological Chemistry 284 (8) 5119-5127
- Slit2-Robo4 signalling promotes vascular stability by blocking Arf6 activity (2009)
Jones, Christopher A. and Nishiya, Naoyuki and London, Nyall R. and Zhu, Weiquan and Sorensen, Lise K. and Chan, Aubrey C. and Lim, Chinten J. and Chen, Haoyu and Zhang, Qisheng and Schultz, Peter G. and Hayallah, Alaa M. and Thomas, Kirk R. and Famulok, Michael and Zhang, Kang and Ginsberg, Mark H. and Li, Dean Y.
Nature Cell Biology 11 (11) 1325-U146
- Integrin-mediated Protein Kinase A Activation at the Leading Edge of Migrating Cells (2008)
Lim, Chinten J. and Kain, Kristin H. and Tkachenko, Eugene and Goldfinger, Lawrence E. and Gutierrez, Edgar and Allen, Michael D. and Groisman, Alex and Zhang, Jin and Ginsberg, Mark H.
Molecular Biology of the Cell 19 (11) 4930-4941
- alpha 4 integrins are Type I cAMP-dependent protein kinase-anchoring proteins (2007)
Lim, Chinten James and Han, Jaewon and Yousefi, Nima and Ma, Yuliang and Amieux, Paul S. and McKnight, G. Stanley and Taylor, Susan S. and Ginsberg, Mark H.
Nature Cell Biology 9 (4) 415-U96
- On the yellow brick road to platelet GP IIb-IIIa (Integrin alpha IIb beta 3) activation. (2006)
Watanabe, Naohide and Han, Jaewon and Lim, C. James and Soriani, Alessandra and Puzon-McLaughlin, Wilma and LaFuente, Esther M. and Boussiotis, Vassiliki A. and Ginsberg, Mark H. and Shattil, Sanford J.
Blood 108 (11) 67A
- Reconstructing and Deconstructing Agonist-Induced Activation of Integrin αIIbβ3 (2006)
Han, J. and Lim, C.J. and Watanabe, N. and Soriani, A. and Ratnikov, B. and Calderwood, D.A. and Puzon-McLaughlin, W. and Lafuente, E.M. and Boussiotis, V.A. and Shattil, S.J. and Ginsberg, MarkH.
Current Biology 16 (18) 1796-1806
- Assignment of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) to spawning sites using DNA markers (2005)
Corley-Smith, GE and Wennerberg, L and Schembri, JA and Lim, CJ and Cooper, KL and Brandhorst, BP
Marine Biotechnology 7 (5) 440-448
- Loss of the Dictyostelium RasC protein alters vegetative cell size, motility and endocytosis (2005)
Lim, C.J. and Zawadzki, K.A. and Khosla, M. and Secko, D.M. and Spiegelman, G.B. and Weeks, G.
Experimental Cell Research 306 (1) 47-55
- Chemoattractant-induced Ras activation during Dictyostelium aggregation (2004)
Kae, H. and Lim, C.J. and Spiegelman, G.B. and Weeks, G.
EMBO Reports 5 (6) 602-606
- RasC plays a role in transduction of temporal gradient information in the Cyclic-AMP wave of Dictyostelium discoideum (2004)
Wessels, D and Brincks, R and Kuhl, S and Stepanovic, V and Daniels, KJ and Weeks, G and Lim, CJ and Spiegelman, G and Fuller, D and Iranfar, N and Loomis, WF and Soll, DR
Eukaryotic Cell 3 (3) 646-662
- Cytoskeletal regulation by Dictyostelium Ras subfamily proteins (2002)
Lim, C.J. and Spiegelman, G.B. and Weeks, G.
Journal of Muscle Research and Cell Motility 23 (7-8) 729-736
- RasC is required for optimal activation of adenylyl cyclase and Akt/PKB during aggregation (2001)
Lim, C.J. and Spiegelman, G.B. and Weeks, G.
EMBO Journal 20 (16) 4490-4499
- Efficient detection of DNA polymorphisms by fluorescent RAPD analysis (1997)
CorleySmith, GE and Lim, CJ and Kalmar, GB and Brandhorst, BP
Biotechniques 22 (4) 690-&
- Production of androgenetic zebrafish (Danio rerio) (1996)
CorleySmith, GE and Lim, CTJ and Brandhorst, BP
Genetics 142 (4) 1265-1276