The minimum TOEFL score required for all applicants to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies is
- 90 for the internet-based exam (with minimum component scores of 22 [reading, listening] and 21 [writing, speaking]) or
- 55 each for reading, listening, and writing in the paper-based test, with 4.0 on the Test of Written English (TWE).
Some programs require a higher score. TOEFL scores must be issued to UBC directly from the Educational Testing Centre. Please ensure that you include the following on your TOEFL sheet:
- use the University of British Columbia's institution code 0965
- give the reason for taking TOEFL "to enter a college or university as a graduate student"
- TOEFL MyBest composite scores are not accepted for applications to UBC-Vancouver.
- TOEFL ibT Home is accepted for admission to UBC-Vancouver.
- TOEFL ITP is not accepted for admission.
- Minimum scores must be achieved in a single sitting of the test (i.e. scores from multiple test-taking instances may not be used to satisfy minimum component requirements.)
TOEFL and IELTS test takers can request electronic submission of scores to universities. We accept electronic delivery directly from the test centre to UBC only. For all other tests, an official paper test score report ordered from the testing agency is required. Photocopies of test scores are not acceptable.