Master of Engineering Leadership in High Performance Buildings (MEL)
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in High Performance Buildings is designed for engineers and architects who want to make a difference in the building sector. Graduates of this program will have the technical and leadership skills to improve the energy performance of existing buildings and design integrated high-performance energy systems for new buildings.
Energy use in buildings is a significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, making it a high priority to design more energy-efficient buildings and retrofit existing buildings. This is a growing sector, with opportunities in consulting, construction, manufacturing and government. With governments at all levels increasing the standards for energy conservation, there is a need for professionals who can take leadership in designing the integrated high-performing energy systems in our built environment.
Government and industry employers are seeking professionals who have the creative and visionary skills to develop the processes and systems that can lead to lasting change. Combined with strong leadership and business skills, this program will help you to develop innovative solutions, manage teams and direct projects — a skill set that is highly relevant in today’s business environment.
The MEL is a 12-month degree starting in January. While 60 per cent of your High Performance Buildings courses will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business. Please contact us if you would like to find out more about the MEL in High Performance Buildings.
What makes the program unique?
It only takes 12 months to complete the program and get an MEL degree. Starting in January, in the High Performance Buildings program, you will:
- Deepen your technical skills
- Sharpen your business skills
- Develop as a leader
- Collaborate with industry partners
MEL students are required to have professional experience before starting the program. That means you will be part of a mature student cohort with a variety of professional and career experiences to draw on when you collaborate on projects with one another. Access to this diversity of knowledge and experience is essential to your development.
Meet a UBC representative
Facebook Live Event: Q&A with UBC Graduate Student Ambassadors - Int'l Students SessionFacebook Live Event
Date: Thursday, 01 November 2018
Time: 10:00 to 11:00
Join our first ever Facebook Live Q&A session with our UBC Graduate Student Ambassadors as they share their experiences as international students at UBC. Topics include moving to Canada, settling in, making friends, and more. Watch and participate in the livestream on the UBC Grad School Facebook page, @ubcgradschool. Submit a question for our ambassadors in advance and sign up for a reminder. Please note: we will not be able to answer questions regarding specific application and admissions policies or any that involve personal information.
Applications for January 2019, the MEL degrees will admit in three application rounds:
1st Round: June 1, 2018 (Decision by July 1, 2018)
2nd Round: August 1, 2018 (Decision by September 1, 2018)
Final Round: October 1, 2018 (Decision by November 1, 2018)
We highly recommend international students to apply by June 1st to ensure plenty time to allow for processing of study permits.
TOEFL (ibT) Overall Score Requirement
IELTS Overall Score Requirement
Prior degree requirements
Applicants must hold an undergraduate credential in either engineering (or equivalent) OR a professional Master of Architecture.
A minimum of 3 years relevant work experience.
Being a professional program, there are no scholarships, grants or funding offered by UBC for MEL students. Students who require financial assistance are encouraged to look for external scholarships or loans that may be available to them. Provincial student loans are available to domestic students.
Tuition / Program Costs
|Fees||Canadian Citizen / Permanent Resident / Refugee / Diplomat||International|
|Installments per year||3||3|
|Tuition per installment||$9,550.87||$16,755.15|
|Int. Tuition Award (ITA) per year (if eligible)||Not applicable|
|Other Fees and Costs|
|Student Fees (yearly)||$930.14 (approx.)|
|Costs of living (yearly)||starting at $16,884.10 (check cost calculator)|
|Deposit to accept offer (if admitted)|
All fees for the year are subject to adjustment and UBC reserves the right to change any fees without notice at any time, including tuition and student fees. In case of a discrepancy between this webpage and the UBC Calendar, the UBC Calendar entry will be held to be correct.