Doctor of Philosophy in Library, Archival and Information Studies (PhD)
More Zeros, Less Ones: Digital Storage Management, Big Data, and Climate Change
COVID-19 notice: We appreciate that, like all of us, students and their research plans face unprecedented uncertainties. Rest assured that your application and proposal will be evaluated accordingly. If you are awarded PSI funding, it could be kept untouched until it is needed, or extensions granted to funds already activated..
This award is part of the UBC Public Scholars Initiative (PSI) which intends to build connections, community, and capacity for doctoral students who are interested in explicitly linking their doctoral work to an arena of public benefit and integrating broader and more career-relevant forms of scholarship into their doctoral education process.
Up to $10,000 twice, for a total of $20,000 per student is available to support innovative/collaborative scholarship which the student would otherwise be unable to pursue. Funding can be used for:
Every year funding is available for up to 30-40 new students. Students may be eligible for renewal for a second year (pending new PSI funding).
Requirements for all funded students:
All students, faculty, and collaborators will be asked to complete a questionnaire at the end of their funding/involvement. Student dissertations and student completion and career outcomes will also be reviewed as part of the assessment of this pilot initiative.
The applications are now open.
(1) Download these 2 files from the link below (under the 'Further Information' section): PSI Fellowship Application 2021-2022; and PSI Fellowship Application Instructions 2021-2022
(2) Following the guidelines, complete the Application form. Please note that each section ("Outline of Proposed Scholarly Work" and "Relationship of Proposal to PSI Goals") is individually capped at 4000 characters and 1 page.
(3) Upload the completed Application form and your Canadian Common CV as one pdf file (see instructions for details) to this link.
(4) Once the form is downloaded you can edit and save the form by renaming it.
(5) For the mandatory supervisor letter of support and the optional letter(s) of support from collaborators, your letter writers should go to this page. You can open the page, and share the link with them.
(6) This will complete your application.
The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will convene a multi-disciplinary adjudication committee to review eligible applications and select funding recipients. Funding decisions will be announced in the second half of July.
For profiles of all existing and graduated scholars, please check the profiles section of the Public Scholars Initiative webpage.
For questions about the Public Scholars Initiative and application procedures, contact Public Scholarship Coordinator Serbulent Turan: firstname.lastname@example.org