Master of Engineering Leadership in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (MEL)
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering is designed for engineers who want to accelerate their career by leading and supervising teams and managing complex technical projects. This program combines the engineering and physics of ship design with broad business and leadership training.
There are more than 100,000 vessels in the world’s fleet — designed, built, maintained and managed by naval architects and marine engineers. It’s a growing sector, and it’s growing here in BC. Building competencies in the architecture, design and selection of ship machinery systems is one component of the technical curriculum. Combined with strong leadership and business skills, this program will help you to develop innovative solutions, manage teams and direct projects — a skill set that is highly relevant in today’s business environment.
The MEL is a 12-month degree starting in January. While 60 per cent of your Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering courses will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business. Please contact us if you would like to find out more about the MEL in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering.
What makes the program unique?
It only takes 12 months to complete the program and get an MEL degree. Starting in January, in the Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering program, you will:
- Deepen your technical skills
- Sharpen your business skills
- Develop as a leader
- Collaborate with industry partners
MEL students are required to have professional experience before starting the program. That means you will be part of a mature student cohort with a variety of professional and career experiences to draw on when you collaborate on projects with one another. Access to this diversity of knowledge and experience is essential to your development.
Read some of our alumni stories on our website to find out how our graduates have gone on to excel their careers with their UBC MEL in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering degree.
Meet a UBC representative
Graduate Student Housing Info Sessionwebinar
Date: Tuesday, 02 October 2018
Time: 15:30 to 16:30
It's not too early to explore your options for accommodation, particularly if you are hoping to live on campus, in residence at UBC. About 1300 graduate students live in residence at UBC. Learn about the UBC student residences available for graduate students, the application process, waitlist logistics, and more in this 1-hour webinar presented by UBC Student Housing and Hospitality Services.
Virtual Office Hourswebinar
Date: Thursday, 04 October 2018
Time: 09:00 to 10:00
Are you considering UBC for graduate school? Join our Virtual Office Hours to learn more about academic requirements, the admissions process, and more. Ask your questions in advance when you register. Please note that we will not be able to provide answers to questions that involve specific personal information.
Applications for January 2019, the MEL degrees will admit in three application rounds:
1st Round: June 1, 2018 (Decision by July 1, 2018)
2nd Round: August 1, 2018 (Decision by September 1, 2018)
Final Round: October 1, 2018 (Decision by November 1, 2018)
We highly recommend international students to apply by June 1st to ensure plenty time to allow for processing of study permits.
TOEFL (ibT) Overall Score Requirement
IELTS Overall Score Requirement
Prior degree requirements
Applicants must normally hold an undergraduate credential in engineering.
Applicants are required to have a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
Being a professional program, there are no scholarships, grants or funding offered by UBC for MEL students. Students who require financial assistance are encouraged to look for external scholarships or loans that may be available to them. Provincial student loans are available to domestic students.
Tuition / Program Costs
|Fees||Canadian Citizen / Permanent Resident / Refugee / Diplomat||International|
|Installments per year||3||3|
|Tuition per installment||$9,550.87||$16,755.15|
|Int. Tuition Award (ITA) per year (if eligible)||Not applicable|
|Other Fees and Costs|
|Student Fees (yearly)||$930.14 (approx.)|
|Costs of living (yearly)||starting at $16,884.10 (check cost calculator)|
|Deposit to accept offer (if admitted)|
All fees for the year are subject to adjustment and UBC reserves the right to change any fees without notice at any time, including tuition and student fees. In case of a discrepancy between this webpage and the UBC Calendar, the UBC Calendar entry will be held to be correct.