Master of Engineering Leadership in Dependable Software Systems (MEL)
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Dependable Software Systems is designed for software engineers who want to explore the principles and techniques for maintaining the integrity and reliability of software systems in diverse application areas.
This program will equip tomorrow’s software professionals with an in-depth knowledge of the principles and techniques for developing dependable systems, including software testing and verification, error-resilient computing, computer security and software processes. In addition to acquiring specialist skills, the program offers the opportunity to focus on courses that build a foundation of project management, communication and leadership skills — to prepare graduates to become effective technical managers who are adept at collaborative teamwork.
The MEL is a 12-month degree starting in January. While 60 per cent of your Dependable Software Systems courses will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business. Please contact us if you would like to find out more about the MEL in Dependable Software Systems.
What makes the program unique?
It only takes 12 months to complete the program and get an MEL degree. Starting in January, in the Dependable Software Systems program, you will:
- Deepen your technical skills
- Sharpen your business skills
- Develop as a leader
- Collaborate with industry partners
MEL students are required to have professional experience before starting the program. That means you will be part of a mature student cohort with a variety of professional and career experiences to draw on when you collaborate on projects with one another. Access to this diversity of knowledge and experience is essential to your development.
Read some of our alumni stories on our website to find out how our graduates have gone on to excel their careers with their UBC MEL in Dependable Software Systems.
Meet a UBC representative
Q&A with UBC Graduate Student Ambassadorswebinar
Date: Thursday, 26 July 2018
Time: 12:30 to 13:30
Join our Graduate Student Ambassadors Samuel Adenyanju (MSc Forestry, Nigeria), Federico Andrade (PhD Public Health, Colombia), Maria Angélica Guerrero (MA Educational Studies, Colombia), Xining (Linda) Yang (PhD Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, China) and Dorine Akwiri (Master of Public Policy and Global Affairs, Kenya) who will be available to answer questions about their experiences at UBC, including topics such as accommodation, moving to a new city/province/country and settling in, making friends, being an international student, and more. This session is open to participants interested in different programs across all faculties at UBC. Please note that we will not be able to provide answers to questions regarding application or admissions policies or any that involve specific personal information.
Applications for January 2019, the MEL degrees will admit in three application rounds:
1st Round: June 1, 2018 (Decision by July 1, 2018)
2nd Round: August 1, 2018 (Decision by September 1, 2018)
Final Round: October 1, 2018 (Decision by November 1, 2018)
We highly recommend international students to apply by June 1st to ensure plenty time to allow for processing of study permits.
TOEFL (ibT) Overall Score Requirement
IELTS Overall Score Requirement
Prior degree requirements
Applicants must hold an undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
Applicants are required to have prior experience developing software systems and a minimum three years relevant professional experience.
Being a professional program, there are no scholarships, grants or funding offered by UBC for MEL students. Students who require financial assistance are encouraged to look for external scholarships or loans that may be available to them. Provincial student loans are available to domestic students.
Tuition / Program Costs
|Fees||Canadian Citizen / Permanent Resident / Refugee / Diplomat||International|
|Installments per year||3||3|
|Tuition per installment||$9,550.87||$16,755.15|
|Int. Tuition Award (ITA) per year (if eligible)||Not applicable|
|Other Fees and Costs|
|Student Fees (yearly)||$923.38 (approx.)|
|Costs of living (yearly)||starting at $16,884.10 (check cost calculator)|
|Deposit to accept offer (if admitted)|
All fees for the year are subject to adjustment and UBC reserves the right to change any fees without notice at any time, including tuition and student fees. In case of a discrepancy between this webpage and the UBC Calendar, the UBC Calendar entry will be held to be correct.