Master of Data Science in Computational Linguistics (MDSCL)
UBC’s new Master of Data Science program with Computational Linguistics Specialization is the credential to set you apart. Offered at the Vancouver campus, this unique degree is tailored to those with a passion for language and data. Over 10 months, the program combines foundational data science courses with advanced computational linguistics courses - equipping graduates with the skills to turn language-related data into knowledge and to build AI that can interpret human language.
What makes the program unique?
- 10-month, full-time, accelerated program offers a short-term commitment for long-term gain
- Condensed one-credit courses allow for in-depth focus on a limited set of topics at one time
- Capstone project gives students an opportunity to apply their skills
- Real-world data sets are integrated in all courses to provide practical experience across a range of domains
- Courses are taught by a combination of arts (linguistics), computer science, and statistics faculty members giving students access to key experts within each field of study
- Students learn fundamental data science skills, techniques, and tools with the core Master of Data Science cohort, then branch off into more specialized courses, experiencing the benefits of a large program and small program in one
- UBC's Vancouver campus offers students the unrivaled experience of a top 40 university, surrounded by remarkable natural beauty, at the edge of a cosmopolitan city
- Strong connections with industry partners in public and private sectors, start-ups, and leading tech companies offer a wide range of networking/career opportunities
Meet a UBC representative
Virtual Office Hourswebinar
Date: Thursday, 05 September 2019
Time: 14:00 to 15:00
Join us for a short presentation on the application and admissions process, academic requirements, and general overview of graduate studies at UBC, followed by Q&A with Grad Studies staff and graduate student ambassadors. Ask questions in advance when you register. Please note that Virtual Office Hours is not program-specific, and we will not be able to provide answers to questions that involve specific personal information.
Great Grad School Applicationswebinar
Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2019
Time: 09:00 to 10:00
Learn about the application process, and general academic and admissions requirements. Develop a timeline for meeting deadlines, scheduling language tests, getting your documents ready, and reaching out to letter writers and supervisors. As well, join us on a virtual tour of the UBC Grad Studies website to point out important resources.
TOEFL (ibT) Overall Score Requirement
IELTS Overall Score Requirement
Tuition / Program Costs
|Fees||Canadian Citizen / Permanent Resident / Refugee / Diplomat||International|
|Installments per year||3||3|
|Tuition per installment||$10,612.08||$14,711.14|
|Int. Tuition Award (ITA) per year (if eligible)||Not applicable|
|Other Fees and Costs|
|Student Fees (yearly)||$930.14 (approx.)|
|Costs of living (yearly)||starting at $16,884.10 (check cost calculator)|
|Deposit to accept offer (if admitted)|
All fees for the year are subject to adjustment and UBC reserves the right to change any fees without notice at any time, including tuition and student fees. Tuition fees are reviewed annually by the UBC Board of Governors. In recent years, tuition increases have been 2% for continuing domestic students and between 2% and 5% for continuing international students. New students may see higher increases in tuition. Admitted students who defer their admission are subject to the potentially higher tuition fees for incoming students effective at the later program start date. In case of a discrepancy between this webpage and the UBC Calendar, the UBC Calendar entry will be held to be correct.