Students with Families

Having a family while doing your graduate degree provides additional challenges as you will need to combine your family life with your studies. You might have to plan for additional expenses for child care or pre-school. UBC provides support for students with families, but please be aware that these services are in high demand and frequently have long waiting lists.


UBC can offer support for students with families in the following ways:

International students

The UBC International student website contains information about moving to Vancouver with your family. This includes:

  • Registering children in school
  • Programs for spouses and partners
  • Parents’ rights and responsibilities