Having a family while doing your graduate degree provides additional challenges as you will need to combine your family life with your studies. You might have to plan for additional expenses for child care or pre-school. UBC provides support for students with families, but please be aware that these services are in high demand and frequently have long waiting lists.
UBC can offer support for students with families in the following ways:
- UBC Child Care Services operates licensed group care for children from infancy through elementary school age on the Point Grey campus in Vancouver.
- Family housing
- Home-based childcare support: Faculty, staff and students in Vancouver who are looking for childcare support in their homes can post a request on the CareersOnline job board, which is available to match diploma and certificate students in the Faculty of Education’s Early Childhood Education program (who are experienced caregivers and have current criminal record checks). To use this service, faculty, staff and students can create an employer profile on CareersOnline, using a UBC email address. Once your employer account is approved, you can create a job posting with a description of the position, salary/wage, and qualifications. Select “Education/Teaching” as your preferred degree/discipline to indicate you are looking for Early Childhood Education students. Please see the tip sheet for items of consideration when posting a childcare job.
The UBC International student website contains information about moving to Vancouver with your family. This includes:
- Registering children in school
- Programs for spouses and partners
- Parents’ rights and responsibilities