Killam Fellowship Travel and Research Allowance
The UBC Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Fund for Advanced Studies provides current Killam Doctoral Scholars and Postdoctoral Research Fellows with an allowance to promote travel for research and to attend and/or present at academic meetings.
Only current Killam Postdoctoral Research Fellows and Killam Doctoral Scholars are eligible for the Killam Allowance. Non-Killam doctoral students may seek assistance from the Graduate Student Travel Fund.
Eligible travel expenses are as follows:
- Airline or other public carrier travel (at economy fare)
- Mileage (includes fuel cost)
- Conference registration
Please review UBC Policy #83 "Travel and Related Expenses" for a full list of allowable expenses and related requirements.
Additional expenses reimbursed for Killam Postdoctoral Research Fellows are as follows:
- one-time relocation expenses to Vancouver
- minor research-related expenses
Applications that are complete and meet the eligibility requirements will be reimbursed.
Complete and submit a Killam Fellowship Travel Expense Form to apply for reimbursement of eligible expenses.
Killam Doctoral Scholars:
The allowance has a value of $2,000 over the 24-month tenure of the Killam Doctoral Scholarship.
Killam Doctoral Scholars may also apply for funding from the Graduate Student Travel Fund once they have exhausted their Killam Allowance. The Graduate Student Travel Fund provides one-time travel support to a maximum of $500 per graduate student who presents a paper or poster at an official conference or symposium (student workshops are not eligible).
Killam Doctoral Scholars should apply for the Killam Allowance before applying separately for the Graduate Student Travel Fund.
Killam Postdoctoral Research Fellows:
The allowance has a value of $4,000 over the 24-month tenure of the Killam Postdoctoral Research Fellowship.
- For research-related travel, please submit claim within 30 days of the return date.
- For discretionary research expenses, please submit claim within 30 days of incurring the expense.
- For one-time relocation to Vancouver, please submit claim within 60 days of the fellowship start date. Please note that relocation expenses must have been incurred within 60 days before and/or after the commencement date of the fellowship.
Supervisor’s signature must be obtained and the completed form with original receipts/boarding passes delivered to the Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies.
A six week time period is necessary for processing reimbursements once submissions are received by the Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies.
Reimbursements will be issued via direct deposit by UBC Financial Services. Cheques will only be issued if the recipient is not on direct deposit or if the expense is in a foreign currency. Cheques will be mailed to the department address provided on the claim form.