International Doctoral Fellowship
The International Doctoral Fellowship (IDF) program supports top international students who are starting UBC-V doctoral programs. The fellowship provides funding for a total of five years: a $30,000 stipend plus tuition for four years and a minimum $18,000 funding package (from the recipient's supervisor/department/Faculty, comprising awards, teaching assistantships and/or research assistantships) for the fifth year.
Effective fall 2018, the International Doctoral Fellowships will not be awarded through a campus-wide competition.
To be eligible, nominees must:
- hold a valid student visa when they begin their UBC doctoral program
- be starting a UBC-V doctoral program in the year of application. For fast-track students (who advance / transfer from a Master's to a doctoral program without completing their Master's degree), the effective date of transfer to the doctoral program must be during the year of application.
- be pursuing their first thesis-based doctoral degree
Academic excellence - 30%
- Academic record
- Scholarships and awards held
- Duration of previous studies
Research ability or potential - 50%
- Quality of contributions to research and development
- Relevance of work experience and academic training to field of proposed research
- Significance, feasibility, and merit of proposed research, and justification for location of tenure
- Ability to think critically
- Ability to apply skills and knowledge
- Initiative and autonomy
- Enthusiasm for research
- Determination and ability to complete projects within an appropriate period of time
Communication, interpersonal, and leadership abilities - 20%
- The ability or potential to communicate scientific concepts clearly and logically in written and oral formats. For example, this could include:
- quality of the application's presentation;
- participation in preparing publications; and
- awards for oral presentations or papers.
- Professional and relevant extracurricular interactions and collaborations. For example, this could include:
- supervisory experience
- project management
- chairing committees
- organizing conferences and meetings
- elected positions held