Insurance is important to make sure you have financial support if your circumstances change. Medical insurance is obligatory for a student of UBC. You may also wish to consider tenant and car insurance if you are renting or own a car.

Medical insurance

Medical care can be expensive if you have no insurance. There are three types of health insurance (basic, extended, and emergency). Students are required to have basic health insurance before attending UBC. See health insurance basics for more detailed information about insurance requirements.

Students have access to extended medical insurance as part of their tuition fees. For more information visit the UBC Alma Mater Society website

The AMS/GSS Health & Dental Plan provides extended health and dental coverage, specifically designed for students to cover expenses not covered by your basic health care plan. This plan covers expenses such as prescription drugs, dental care, travel health coverage, vision care, and more. For more information visit the Graduate Student Society website.

International students

More information about health insurance and how it may affect you can be found on the UBC international student website.

Tenant insurance

It is worth considering tenant insurance if you are renting a property. It may save you money if your home is subject to damage, fire or theft.

Car insurance

If you are moving to study at UBC, then you may have to update your insurance and driver’s licence for it to remain valid. For more information, see the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia website. It is very important to find out when your driver's licence from outside of BC will lose its validity (typically after 3 months). After that period you are legally not allowed to drive anymore in BC unless you get a BC driver's licence.

International students

If you are bringing your car from abroad, there are various factors to be aware of. For more information see ‘bringing a car’ on the International Student Development web site.