Spring Graduate Awards Competition
A number of University awards for upcoming academic year are available to current and incoming graduate students.
Students must be registered, full-time graduate students during the period of the award. Additional eligibility criteria differ between awards. List of awards is available in the application form - part 2. A student might be eligible for multiple awards offered for 2017/18 academic year. Please read the description for each award carefully, and indicate in detail why you are eligible for each award for which you are applying.
In addition to eligibility requirements specified by each available award, the following criteria apply:
Applicants must have completed, as of December 31, 2016 between zero and 12 months of full-time Master’s studies (or full-time equivalent). Successful applicants for Master's-level funding will not receive funding past the end of their 24th month in Master's program.
Applicants for the Rick Hansen "Man in Motion" Fellowship can be in any month of Master's study.
|Doctoral students||Applicants must have completed, as of December 31, 2016:
Please note that all previous studies at the graduate level, regardless of institution and discipline, will be included in determining eligibility.
|Criteria||Weighting for applicants for Master’s funding||Weighting for applicants for doctoral funding|
|Research ability or potential
|Communication, interpersonal and leadership abilities
Applicants must check with their graduate program regarding their program’s internal application deadline. Internal application deadlines are normally several weeks before the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies deadline, as graduate programs must review students' applications well in advance of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies deadline.
Applicants must submit the following materials to their graduate program at UBC:
- completed application form - PART 1
- completed application form - PART 2
- Canadian CCV – CGS-Master’s version
- applicants are required to complete the CCV from the Canadian Common CV Web site (https://ccv-cvc.ca/indexresearcher-eng.frm) as part of their application. Refer to the Canadian Common CV – How to Complete the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master's Version (http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/CCV_CGSM-CVC_BESCM_eng.asp) for details.
- applicants should access the .pdf version of their CCV by clicking “History” in the top menu bar when logged into the CCV website and download the .pdf version of their CCV, rather than the .xml version.
- academic records for all university-level studies (including studies undertaken but not completed) up to December 31, 2016. For institutions other than UBC, only official transcripts will be accepted. These may be original or certified true copies provided by the applicant's graduate program. For UBC, the applicant's "Academic History" printed from the SISC by the applicant's graduate program will be accepted. Please note that students must request certified true copies of transcripts from their graduate program, not from the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- one letter of recommendation. Only recommendation letters signed by the person providing the reference are acceptable; original, faxed, and scanned copies sent by e-mail directly to the applicant’s graduate program are acceptable. In some cases, a reference letter submitted for a previous scholarship competition may be used; see the application instructions for details.
Graduate Programs should set internal deadlines well in advance of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies deadline.
To nominate students, Graduate Programs are to:
- fill out the Excel nomination form:
- Maximum number of nominees for each award is specified in the nomination sheet under the award name
- For awards that specify "no maximum", programs can insert rows to add more nominees
- For the unspecified awards, programs can nominate one student per award
- For each nominee, copy the description of eligibility from PART 2 of the application into the nomination form
- [Note that ROWS in the nomination form can be resized; columns cannot be edited]
- save the nomination form as PROGRAM_SPRING_nomination_form.xlsx (e.g. MATH would save the form as MATH_SPRING_nomination_form.xlsx)
- save each nominee file as PROGRAM_SPRING_LastName_FirstName.pdf (e.g. nomination file for student Jane Smith from MATH would be called MATH_SPRING_Smith_Jane.pdf).
- A complete nominee file will consist of:
- application form - PART 1 (PART 2 should NOT be included; it should only be used to fill out the nomination form)
- academic records of all university-level studies
- one letter of recommendation
- upload the nomination form and all nominee files into program Workspace G+PS Awards folder
Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will convene an adjudication committee comprising faculty members representing various disciplines.