IDRC Doctoral Research Awards
IDRC Doctoral Research Awards are intended to promote the capacity and growth of Canadian and developing country research to improve the lives of people in the developing world. Awards will cover the costs of field research conducted for a doctoral dissertation in one or more countries in the Global South. Regions of the Global South are defined as: Middle East, North Africa, West Africa, East Africa, southern Africa, Southeast Asia, South Asia, Far East Asia, Caribbean, Central America, South America, Oceania. Field research must be relevant to one of six development outcome areas to which IDRC aims to contribute through its work (see Eligibility below).
To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, or a citizen of a developing country, excluding countries in southern and eastern Europe, South Caucasus, and Central Asia (but including Afghanistan).
- You must be enrolled at a Canadian university at the doctoral level (you must have completed several courses of the doctoral program, but not necessarily all courses, when you submit your application).
- Your research proposal must be approved by your thesis supervisor. Please provide proof.
- Your proposed field research must be conducted for a doctoral dissertation and must take place in one or more developing countries (see list of exceptions below).
- Your field research must be relevant to one of six development outcome areas to which IDRC aims to contribute through its work. These are:
- Health equity
- Inclusive governance
- Sustainable and inclusive growth
- Climate resilience and sustainable food systems
- Inclusive education
- Strong science and innovation systems
- IDRC also encourages proposals that explore the impacts of and resilience to shocks such as the current COVID-19 pandemic, from the perspective of any of the areas above. Applications proposing field research outside of these areas will not be considered.
- You must provide evidence of affiliation with an institution or organization in the developing region(s) in which the research will take place.
- You must have completed coursework and passed comprehensive exams before taking up the award.
For additional eligibility requirements, visit the IDRC webpage.
Visit the IDRC webpage for complete evaluation criteria.