Edwin S.H. Leong CSC UBC PhD Scholarship
Renewable doctoral scholarships of $35,000 per year for up to four years are offered annually by the Tai Hung Fai Charitable Foundation, in partnership with the China Scholarship Council (CSC). As an UBC alumnus and internationalist, Dr. Edwin S.H. Leong recognizes the importance of global collaboration. To be considered, candidates must be citizens of the mainland of the People's Republic of China who demonstrate academic excellence and who are undertaking PhD research at either of the University of British Columbia campuses, in one of the following areas: health, natural sciences, natural resources, economics or business. Financial need may also be taken into consideration. Furthermore, a Leong Scholar should not only be a person of high intellect but a well-rounded person of sound character. Renewal of scholarship funding for up to the full four years is conditional upon recipients making satisfactory progress in their studies.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- receive CSC funding
- be citizens of the mainland of the People's Republic of China
- be starting a doctoral program at either UBC campus in May 2018, September 2018 or January 2019
- be undertaking research in one of the following areas: health, natural sciences, natural resources, economics or business
Preliminary criteria include the following:
- academic excellence
- research ability and potential
- leadership qualities
These criteria may be updated in May 2018.
- Applicants must apply to CSC for a doctoral scholarship between March 20 and April 5, 2018 (Beijing time zone). For more information, see: http://en.csc.edu.cn/
- Successful CSC award recipients: application materials for the Leong PhD Scholarship will be provided by G+PS directly to eligible CSC recipients in June 2018. Complete applications must be received by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies in late June or early July 2018 (to be confirmed).
The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will convene an adjudication committee made up of UBC faculty members. The committee will review the applications and select the successful applicants.