Canada Graduate Scholarship Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement
The Canada Graduate Scholarships - Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements (CGS-MSFSS) Program supports high-calibre Canadian graduate students in building global linkages and international networks through the pursuit of exceptional research experiences at research institutions abroad. By accessing international scientific research and training, CGS-MSFSS recipients will contribute to strengthening the potential for collaboration between Canadian and foreign institutions.
This program is available to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who hold a Tri-Agency Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) at the Master's or doctoral level or a Vanier CGS. Note that international students who hold a Vanier CGS are not eligible for this competition.
For complete eligibility criteria and program details, please review the harmonized program description hosted on NSERC’s website: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSForeignStudy-BESCEtudeEtranger_eng.asp
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the linkage between the CGS research goals, the activities outlined for the proposed research study period abroad, and the applicant’s future research/career goals, considering:
- the significance, feasibility and merit of proposed activities at the foreign institution
- the justification for the choice of host institution and/or host supervisor
- the relevance and anticipated benefits of the proposed activities to the candidate’s current graduate-degree training
For reference, the program objectives are as follows:
- to support high-caliber Canadian graduate students in building global linkages and international networks through the pursuit of exceptional research experiences abroad
- to strengthen the potential for collaboration between Canadian institutions and other research institutions outside of Canada
Applicants submit their application materials directly to Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies via email to email@example.com by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, 14 September 2018. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the following materials are submitted by the deadline:
1. Signed and dated CGS-MSFSS application form
Each agency has its own application form and instructions, and care should be taken to ensure that the appropriate form is used. Please obtain the application form from the website of the funding agency from which you received your CGS award:
- CIHR: The application form is a fillable PDF (view instructions here)
- NSERC: The application is available via the NSERC On-line System (view instructions here)
- SSHRC: Applicants must complete the web-based application form (view instructions here) and verify it online
Note: The budget proposal is a part of the application form.
2. Outline of proposed research (maximum two pages)
- outline of proposed research while abroad, including:
- a description of your intended research activities during your study period abroad (including objectives, methodology, timelines, and expected outcomes)
- an indication as to how this relates to your main graduate research topic
- a description of the potential benefits that you will derive from the host institution in relation to your current research objectives
3. Two signed letters of support (maximum one page each)
- letter of support from your current CGS research supervisor detailing their support for your research study period abroad and confirming that your proposed research aligns with the research from your CGS award
- letter of support from host supervisor detailing their support for your research study period abroad and the resources they have available (financial [if any], supervision time, equipment, library access, etc.) to support your planned research activities
4. Signed consent form(s)
Please obtain the required form(s) from the appropriate funding agency website:
- Consent form from the Nominated Principal Applicant: An "Applicant consent form for use and disclosure of personal information provided to CIHR for peer review" must be completed and signed by the applicant.
- The "Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information" form must be completed and signed by the applicant and supervisor. For more information see "The Meaning of Signatures on Applications".
- The "Terms and Conditions of Applying Form" must be completed and signed by the applicant.
- The "Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information Form" must be completed and signed by the applicant.
All application materials should be submitted as PDF documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants are strongly encouraged to collect letters from their supervisors and include all PDF documents in one email.
All PDF documents should adhere to the file naming conventions as specified below, noting that AGENCY represents the funding agency from which you received your CGS award (i.e., CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC). A complete application comprises the following:
- Application form: AGENCY_Last-Name_First-Name_application.pdf
- Outline: AGENCY_Last-Name_First-Name_outline.pdf
- Two letters of support:
- Consent form(s):
- CIHR requires two consent forms: CIHR_Last-Name_First-Name_consent2.pdf
Applicants: It is your responsibility to ensure that your application is complete by the deadline. Please follow up with your referees before the deadline as appropriate. You will receive an email confirming receipt and/or status of your application from G+PS awards staff within one week after the deadline.
Normally, two competitions will be held each year: one in the spring and one in early fall. The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will oversee the university-wide competition. Applications will be reviewed and ranked by a committee composed of UBC faculty. The committee will select which applications are forwarded to the national funding agencies.
Profiles of Award Holders
Please review the harmonized program description hosted on NSERC’s website: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSForeignStudy-BESCEtudeEtranger_eng.asp
The CGS-MSFSS Award Holder's Gulde: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/CGSMSFSSRegs-BESCSEEMSRegs_eng.asp
For questions about UBC's application and review procedures, please contact email@example.com.