Applicants submit their application materials directly to Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies via online submission (see application submission link below) by 4:00 pm PT on 9 September 2022. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the following materials are submitted by the deadline:
1. Signed and dated CGS-MSFSS application form
Each agency has its own application form and instructions, and care should be taken to ensure that the appropriate form is used. Please obtain the application form from the website of the funding agency from which you received your CGS award. For example, an NSERC award holder (CGSM, Doctoral, Vanier) would apply for the MSFSS via NSERC.
Note: The budget proposal is a part of the application form.
2. Outline of proposed research (maximum two pages)
- Outline of proposed research while abroad, including:
- a description of your intended research activities during your study period abroad (including objectives, methodology, timelines, and expected outcomes)
- an indication as to how this relates to your main graduate research topic
- a description of the potential benefits that you will derive from the host institution in relation to your current research objectives
- Refer to the following links for presentation standards (ex. font size):
3. Two signed letters of support (maximum one page each)
- letter of support from your current CGS research supervisor detailing their support for your research study period abroad and confirming that your proposed research aligns with the research from your CGS award
- letter of support from host supervisor detailing their support for your research study period abroad and the resources they have available (financial [if any], supervision time, equipment, library access, etc.) to support your planned research activities
4. Signed consent form(s)
Please obtain the required form(s) from the appropriate funding agency website:
All application materials should be submitted as 1 PDF document via online submission (see link below). Applicants are strongly encouraged to collect letters from their supervisors and include all PDF documents in one online submission.
SUBMIT APPLICATION HERE
If a referee would prefer not to submit their letter to the applicant, they can email their letter to Joanne Tsui (Graduate Awards Clerk) at email@example.com. The referee should clearly indicate in the subject line of the email "MSFSS application - [applicant name] letter of support". If a referee is emailing their letter directly, it remains the applicant's responsibility to ensure that their complete MSFSS application (including reference letters) has been submitted by the application deadline.
The PDF document should adhere to the file naming convention as specified below. AGENCY represents the funding agency from which you received your CGS award (i.e., CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC). File naming convention:
Applicants: It is your responsibility to ensure that your application is complete by the deadline. Please follow up with your referees before the deadline as appropriate.