May 6-12, 2019 was the third annual Great Supervisor Week at UBC, when students were invited to give kudos to their graduate supervisors using the hashtags #GreatSupervisor and #UBC.
These are just a few of the ways our students feel their faculty are helping mentor them:
- My sincere and heartfelt gratitude and appreciation to a wonderful supervisor for providing me with the guidance and counsel I need to succeed in the PhD program.
- Even before being my supervisor he was an exceptional role model in work ethics and research methods.
- My supervisor is brilliant. His patience and humour buoy even the most floundering of minds.
- She is available to answer my questions and offer guidance whenever I seek out her mentorship.
- I never feel like a lone scholar knowing she's in my corner; she supports and encourages my engagement with others in the field.
- She is very encouraging of me sharing my thesis work in small conferences and other academic spaces, and has helped me so much in developing my work and pushing me to consider further avenues for research.
- He always has time for his students. He pushes us to do things on our own but is there when we need him.
Please take a look at the full page of kudos. We will follow up with a celebration for all these supervisors at an autumn reception.
#GreatSupervisor week started at the University of Calgary in 2014, and we are grateful to them for their inspiration and support in this initiative.