Captivate your audience (keynote and interactive workshop)
Date & Time
Registration Closed / Past Event
Keynote: 9 – 10:15 AM
Your work is important. Can you make something complex exciting? Yes! How can you make your ideas and research the ones that people get excited about? How can you stand out in a world where information is readily available? How can you share your work in a way that your audience will remember after a presentation or interview? Join this keynote to learn strategies for creating a compelling narrative that engages the audience while remaining accurate about your findings and not oversimplifying. And you start changing the world - one audience at a time.
Interactive Workshop: 10:30 AM – 12 PM
This workshop is an interactive and hands-on journey through the core elements of impactful communication. Please come prepared with a speaking topic related to your studies, current research, ongoing work, or your thesis.
- Craft compelling opening and closing statements to captivate your audience.
- Simplify complex ideas for clearer and more engaging communication.
- Develop strategies to answer questions confidently and articulately
- Apply non-verbal communication strategies to communicate confidence
This will be a very interactive session, and participants are asked to come prepared with a speaking topic related to their current research or ongoing work.
Ivan Wanis Ruiz is a communications expert like no other. He has been a guest lecturer at not only the University of British Columbia but also the University of Toronto, Ryerson University, University of Guelph and many more. He has travelled across Canada twice as the official spokesperson for both the PanAm Games and most recently the Invictus Games.Here are some fun facts about Ivan
- He is a top-rated instructor on Coursera with over 140,000 learners
- He is a top-rated instructor on Udemy with over 50,000 students
- He was the official host for 2021 FIFA Arab Cup
- The largest crowd he ever spoke in front of was 40,000
- He wrote a book called "End Boring"
- He can teach you how to salsa dance"
General registration opens on Monday, January 22nd at 9:00 AM.
This session is open to UBC graduate students and Postdoctoral Fellows. After registering, you will receive an automated confirmation email. If you experience any difficulty using the online registration tool, please e-mail us at email@example.com