The Western Deans' Agreement was established in 1974 as an expression of co-operation and mutual support among universities offering graduate programs in western Canada. Its primary purpose is the reciprocal enrichment of graduate programs in participating universities. Under the terms of this agreement, graduate students of the member institutions may take courses at another member institution without having to pay the host university's tuition fees.
Students may be required to pay student, activity, application, or other ancillary fees to the host institution, according to general policies in effect at the host institution. Wherever possible, these fees will also be waived.
The Western Deans' Agreement is supported by the following institutions:
- Athabasca University
- Brandon University
- British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Concordia University College of Alberta
- Royal Roads University
- Simon Fraser University
- Thompson Rivers University
- University of Alberta
- University of Calgary
- University of Lethbridge
- University of Manitoba
- University of Northern British Columbia
- University of Regina
- University of Saskatchewan
- University of Victoria
- University of Winnipeg
Students will qualify for the fee waiver if they:
- present the Authorization Form: Western Deans' Agreement signed by the Dean or designate and department head or graduate advisor of a participating institution specifying the courses to be taken for credit toward a graduate degree program at their home institution;
- are in good standing in a graduate program at the home institution;
- have paid all current and back fees at the home institution.
Students in the following graduate programs are not eligible for the WDA:
- MRSc (tuition is paid per credit)
- MET (tuition is paid per credit)
- MFA Creative Writing Distance (tuition is paid per credit)
- MEng (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
- MDSc (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
- MBA, iMBA, EMBA (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
- MM (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
- PharmD (not administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
Students must meet all requirements as prescribed by the host university’s regulations, Graduate Program deadlines, class capacities, and course prerequisites. Registration in courses under the Western Deans' Agreement is possible in credit courses at both the graduate and senior-level undergraduate levels except credit courses offered through Continuing Studies. To be eligible, courses must be an integral part of the student's graduate degree program. Students are not permitted to audit courses or take non-credit courses under this Agreement.
Students must have the Western Deans' Agreement Authorization form approved by the relevant Graduate Program Advisor and the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies at the host institution at least two weeks prior to the commencement of the course(s) requested. The fee waiver is not available retroactively.
Students are subject to regulations of the home institution governing credit for the courses to be undertaken. As a condition of registration at the host institution, students will arrange for official transcripts from the host institution to be sent to the home institution confirming successful completion of courses selected. Students must send confirmation of registration and notice of any change to the Graduate Records Office of the home institution at the time registration or course change is completed.
Each institution has its own regulations regarding the maximum number of transfer credits permitted in a given degree program. Students should ensure that their requests are within these limits.
Courses taken by PhD students under the Western Deans' Agreement will not be credited to their degree programs.