Regular Visiting Students

To be eligible for admission as a visiting student to UBC, the student must be currently registered in a graduate program with good standing at another recognized university. Students may hold visiting status at UBC for a maximum of twelve months.

Applicants for regular visiting status (who are not applying under the Western Deans' Agreement or the Graduate Exchange Agreement) must submit the following documentation to the graduate program to which they are applying:

  • Graduate Studies online application
  • Application fee
  • Two sets of official transcripts (in sealed and endorsed envelopes issued by the Registrar of the home institution) of the graduate program for which the applicant is currently registered
  • Evidence of English Proficiency (where applicable) in the form of an official acceptable TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB score
  • Letter of permission from the home university’s Registrar or department head confirming that the coursework and/or research undertaken at UBC while a visiting student is for the purpose of completing the graduate degree requirements at the home university

Upon receipt of a recommendation from a graduate program to admit an applicant as a visiting student, accompanied by one set of official current transcripts, letter of permission and English proficiency test score (if applicable), the Dean of Graduate Studies will issue a formal offer of admission to the visiting student. Visiting students must be registered in coursework, or non-credit activity (if doing research only) by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.

Visiting graduate students who wish to take credit courses must register for those courses and will be assessed tuition fees at the prevailing graduate per credit rate, (see "Non-Degree Studies" in the Fee Section of the UBC Calendar) plus authorized student fees. Other visiting graduate students may register for the non-credit activity 'Visiting Graduate Student' (VGRD500). The fee for each registration in this activity, which covers either Winter Session Term 1 or Term 2, or Summer Session, is equal to the tuition fee for one credit of coursework plus authorized student fees.