Work Permits and Immigration

Work Permits while Studying

If you are an international student, you might have to apply for a work permit in order to gain work experience while you are studying. Please make sure to contact the International Student Development office to determine what the exact requirements are for your specific case. These requirements vary between on-campus and off-campus work.

Work Permits after Graduation

The Canadian government has introduced new policies that enable international students and graduates of Canadian universities to remain in Canada to work after graduation and potentially immigrate to Canada as skilled workers. Graduates of master's and doctoral programs are especially well-positioned to take advantage of these opportunities.

The UBC International Student Development website has helpful information on:

More information is available from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.