Wayne Riggs Interdisciplinary Doctoral Scholarship in Pharmaceutical Sciences
The Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of British Columbia (UBC) established the Wayne Riggs Interdisciplinary Doctoral Scholarship in Pharmaceutical Sciences in 2015 to celebrate the retirement of Dr. Riggs and to honor his more than 26 years of service as a dedicated researcher, outstanding teacher and mentor, and respected leader in the Faculty. The intent of this scholarship is to foster the career development of the next generation of outstanding leaders in interdisciplinary research in pharmaceutical sciences.
The applicant will have completed a master’s or 4-year bachelor’s (honours) degree in a relevant discipline and must:
- Be applying to enter the first year of a full time PhD program in the UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the time of this application. Note that a full application to the UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences PhD Program must accompany this scholarship application.
- Have a minimum A or equivalent average in each of the last two years of full time study and must meet all the requirements for admission to the UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences PhD Program.
- At the time of application, have secured two supervisors who have agreed to supervise the applicant in an interdisciplinary doctoral thesis project. The supervisors must have complementary research expertise; one must be from the UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences and the other from another faculty.
- Be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant.
Prospective research supervisors must be eligible to supervise PhD students at UBC, be able to provide exceptional training, support and mentoring, and have an outstanding record of graduate student supervision and mentoring.
The award recipient will be an exemplary scholar and citizen, an outstanding leader in graduate student affairs, and a dedicated ambassador for the UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- Submit an application through the UBC Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies by the February 15 deadline, and specify the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences PhD program as the program to which you are applying.
- Submit the following to the UBC-PHAR Pharmacy Graduate Program by the February 15 deadline:
- A curriculum vitae, a description (250 words) of the proposed doctoral thesis project, and a cover letter from the applicant identifying the prospective supervisor(s) and describing the applicant’s career goals, academic and research accomplishments, extra-curricular activities and community service, reason(s) for applying for this award, and how this award will contribute to the applicant’s career aspirations.
- A curriculum vitae and statement from the applicant’s supervisor(s) detailing history of graduate student supervision/mentoring and the proposed training and mentoring program for the applicant.