Senior Women Academic Administrators of Canada (SWAAC) Graduate Student Award of Merit
At least three awards, each in the amount of $3,500, will be awarded annually to the women graduate students who have demonstrated outstanding leadership in the university or general community while maintaining exemplary academic records. Each institution may nominate a maximum of 1 applicant for the award.
Women currently registered in Master's or PhD programs at UBC Vancouver or UBC Okanagan during the Winter 2019 session.
- Outstanding academic performance.
- Evidence of leadership, including but not limited to such things as:
- executive positions in student organizations
- participation on committees (student committees and university committees)
- organization of special events, conferences, etc.
- involvement in advocacy groups
- involvement in volunteer organizations, within the campus setting and/or in the general community
A complete application must be received by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (UBC Vancouver) by 4:00pm on Friday, 1 November 2019. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered; it is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that their application is complete by the deadline. Please follow up with your referees before the deadline as appropriate.
A complete application consists of the following:
Submitted by applicant - submit application here
- Biographical Data (personal statement)
- Biographical information usually includes information about former and current studies, areas of interest, research, publications, other awards, interests outside the university, and community or volunteer work.
- It's usually in a narrative form and is an opportunity for the applicant to tell the adjudication committee some things about herself, and to explain at greater length her background/interests/passions/ambitions/volunteer work.
- Maximum of 2 pages, refer to the presentation standards below
- Curriculum Vitae
- Specific format or template is not required. Applicants are encouraged to include relevant accomplishments and experiences that demonstrate their leadership qualities and skills.
- Academic Records
- Up-to-date transcripts for all post-secondary (undergraduate and graduate) studies, including those undertaken but not completed. This also includes transfer courses and exchange terms.
- Up-to-date transcripts are defined as transcripts dated or issued in the fall session of the year of application (if currently registered) or after the last term completed (if not currently registered)
Submitted by applicant's chosen referees - submit reference here
- Three letters of reference
- Written on letterhead and signed by the referee
Presentation standards required for documents prepared by the applicant:
- Pages must be 8 ½" x 11" (216 mm x 279 mm).
- Insert a minimum margin of 2 cm (3/4 inch) around the page (top, bottom and sides).
- Use a minimum font size of 10-point Arial font or equivalent.
- Attachments must be in PDF format.
- At the top of each page, indicate your name and the title of the document.
See the SWAAC website for detailed competition information: http://www.swaac.ca/graduate-student-award-of-merit.html
See the SWAAC website for profiles of the 2019 winners: http://www.swaac.ca/2019-winners.html