James E. Axelson Outstanding Graduate Scholar Award
This award was established by Dr. Swamy Yeleswaram to honour his doctoral research supervisor, Professor Emeritus James E. Axelson. Dr. Yeleswaram graduated in 1992 with a PhD degree in pharmacokinetics and biopharmaceutics from the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of British Columbia (UBC).
The applicant will have completed a master’s or 4-year bachelor's (honours) degree in a relevant discipline and must:
- Be applying to enter the first year of a full time PhD program in the UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the time of this application. Note that a full application to the UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences PhD Program must accompany this scholarship application.
- Have a minimum A or equivalent average in each of the last two years of full time study and must meet all the requirements for admission to the UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences PhD Program.
- Have already secured a supervisor at the time of application. Co-supervision is permitted; at least one supervisor must be from the UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Prospective research supervisor (and co-supervisor, if applicable) must:
- Be eligible to supervise PhD students at UBC.
- Be able to provide exceptional training, support and mentoring.
- Have an outstanding record of graduate student supervision and mentoring.
The award recipient will be an exemplary scholar and citizen, an outstanding leader in graduate student affairs, and a dedicated ambassador for the UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- Submit an application through the UBC Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies by the February 15 deadline, and specify the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences PhD program as the program to which you are applying.
- Submit the following to the UBC-PHAR Pharmacy Graduate Program by the February 15 deadline:
- A curriculum vitae and a cover letter from the applicant identifying the prospective supervisor(s) and describing the applicant’s career goals, academic and research accomplishments, extra-curricular activities and community service, reason(s) for applying for this award, and how this award will contribute to the applicant’s career aspirations.
- A curriculum vitae and statement from the applicant’s supervisor(s) detailing history of graduate student supervision/mentoring and the proposed training and mentoring program for the applicant.