Gustave O. Arlt Award in the Humanities
This award is named in the honor of Gustave O. Arlt (1895-1986) who was the first president of the Council of Graduate Schools, former faculty member and Dean of the Graduate School at UCLA, and a scholar of German language and literature. Since 1972, this award is made annually to recognize a young scholar who has written a book that represents an outstanding contribution to scholarship in the humanities.
The 2018 field of competition: English and North American Language and Literature
- The recipient must have received the doctorate within seven years of the award, and currently teaching at a North American university.
- The recipient must have taken the degree at a North American university.
- The book being considered must have been published within seven years of the award. The book must have been written in or translated into English.
- The book must represent an outstanding contribution to scholarship in the field.
Important Guidance on Field Eligibility: Departments may submit a nomination that is interdisciplinary, so long as the book draws heavily from the methods and scholarship of the current year's field of competition (2018: English and North American Language and Literature). Since CGS is not in a position to advise universities on the eligibility of particular works of scholarship, it is up to the nominator to determine whether the book sufficiently meets this criterion, and with the understanding that their nomination will be evaluated alongside other books in the field of competition.
Each department can submit one nomination to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. A complete application will consist of:
- nomination form
- a letter from the Department Head elaborating upon the scholarly contribution made by the nominee’s book
- three copies of the nominated book
Nominations (1. and 2. above) are to be submitted via grad program Workspace folders as a single PDF file using the naming convention ARLT_DEPT_Last-Name_First-Name.pdf (as an example, nomination file for Jane Smith from the English department would be named ARLT_ENGL_Smith_Jane.pdf). Please put the file directly into your G+PS Awards – DEPT folder; do not create subfolders.
Three copies of the nominated book will have to be submitted as hard copy. The nominated books will not be returned.